Not receiving email notifications

lintek214 February 4, 2024

I know this question has been asked a thousand times. Every answer I've read has not resolved my problem. I can't get the notifications to come to my Jira Cloud account's email address. It may be because is see this jira@username.atlassian.net address assigned to my project's notification setting. I guess this is supposed to link to my real email address username@hiotmail.com, but it's not working. I not been able to find where the disconnect is.

Can this be fixed?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2024

Hi @lintek214 I found your email address was being suppressed on our side. I have removed it from that list.  Unfortunately, we can't see the initial message that bounced from your SMTP mail server.  But typically this happens because the destination mail server responses with a 500 level error that indicates the account is invalid/suspended/not found.

See if you receive a notification now.

lintek214 February 6, 2024

I just remembered; I have two free Jira Cloud accounts. One as the admin user using the @hotmail.com address and the other as the basic user using the @Gmail.com address.

In addition to what you said Andy, I hit the send notification limit because I'm using the free Jira Cloud. Everything seems to be working now. Thx

lintek214 February 6, 2024

One sad part about the limit. I think it allows less than 20 in one day. :-(

Kishan BHATNAGAR
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2024

Hi Team,

One of the associate is not receving email notification, we have done all the troubleshoot from our end, but issue is still the same.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2024

Hi @Kishan BHATNAGAR I have found a few bounce messages such as this one:

550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. [PA3PEPF000089BB.FRAP264.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM 2024-06-26T09:46:10.727Z 08DC894D9E3C7AB3]

This was found on two different accounts that share your domain.  I cleared these suppressions for all users that share your email domain just now.  However I would recommend that all users on your domain check out this guide in Unblocking Office365 emails for Atlassian Cloud - Atlassian Community  There are settings in that guide that you can take within Office/Outlook in order to prevent this kind of bounce message from happening again from messages our Cloud services send to them.

Andy

Nikita SHARMA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 15, 2024

Hi Team, 

I am the user who is facing the issue which is mentioned by Kishan Bhatnagar. 

From last 6+ months i am not receiving the notification emails

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2024

Hi @Nikita SHARMA I have cleared mail suppressions to all users on your domain.

Raman July 29, 2024

Hi @Andy Heinzer 

I have also seemed to stop receiving my JIRA emails all of a sudden. Could you please check if there is something being bounced or blocked?

I have a reminders app set up, the logs for the app show that the emails are being sent and rescheduled, but I don't seem to receive any, everything was fine till a couple of days back.

Thanks,

Raman

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2024

Hi @Raman 

I found a suppression on your address, there was a bounced message with a response of

2024-07-26T04:32:50.000Z 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. For more information, go to 550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser d2e1a72fcca58-70ead89be08si2951227b3a.264 - gsmtp

I have cleared the suppression from our side just now.

Andy

0 votes
Nick Reinhardt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 29, 2024

I am not receiving any notification from Jira when I am mentioned in a comment, either in Jira, through email, or on Slack. I have confirmed my account notification settings are correct and checked with my system admin. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2024

Hi @Nick Reinhardt From what I can see, there have not been any messages that were bounced or delayed when trying to send mail to your address.  At least not in the last 45 days.   Every attempt I have found record of appears to have been delivered, at least according to the destination email server.

If you cannot locate these, I would check your spam folder to see if perhaps these have been flagged as spam.  If that doesn't help, it might help to reach out to your site-admin and ask that they create a support case with us on your behalf https://support.atlassian.com/contact

0 votes
Edwin Humado July 23, 2024

hi @Andy Heinzer 
I and my team face these same challenges with email notifications which started just last week.

your kind assistance is well appreciated. we have no emails in our spam too.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2024

I'm seeing a larger number of errors on our side when trying to send mail to users on your domain.  Errors like

421 4.4.4 [internal] Domain Does Not Resolve
554 5.4.4 [internal] Domain Lookup Failed

Did you recently make changes to your DNS MX records? 

I am trying to reach out to my mail team to better understand if this is a problem from our side at resolving your mail server's address, or if perhaps this is a configuration problem elsewhere.

Like Edwin Humado likes this
Edwin Humado July 23, 2024

well noted. I will check with our IT team about our email server and if there was any changes done.

Edwin Humado July 24, 2024

Hi @Andy Heinzer 

per my checks with IT, no changes has been made to our mail server from our end.

will appreciate your assistance on this issue.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2024

Hi @Edwin Humado I also got an update from my mail team.  It appears that our service provider for sending some mail (sparkpost) appears to be having a problem resolving the addresses of some mail hosts.  I got confirmation that your domain is among these domains.

Our team is working with our vendor to resolve this.

Like Edwin Humado likes this
Edwin Humado July 24, 2024

well noted with thanks!

0 votes
Brahmani Nukala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 29, 2024

I am not getting jira updates on my mail when my team tags me any issue or mention on any issue. I did check with my admin regarding this and we found no solution, can some one help me here

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2024

Hi @Brahmani Nukala 

There was a suppression on your account.  I have cleared this for your account and any other users on your domain.

Like Brahmani Nukala likes this
admin_isenhoff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 9, 2024

We haven't received any email notifications since the end of March, even though immediate shipping has been discontinued. The test dispatch (https://trello.com/test_notifications) did not throw up any errors either. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Daniel In July 15, 2024

@Andy Heinzer I'm having the same troubles as well. Looking to see if I could get some help. Thank you.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2024

Hi @Daniel In 

I found that for your account, our system is showing an SMTP response of:

421 4.4.4 [internal] Domain Does Not Resolve

However it doesn't appear that this is happen everytime.  Sometimes it appears to be delivering to your address as expected.  If this continues, I would share this message with your mail admin to see if there has been a networking or DNS problem with resolving your mail host recently.  If so, it would explain that particular error.

Andy

0 votes
Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2024

Hello, Good day. Please refer the following link to configure from address for Jira cloud notification. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain/

lintek214 February 5, 2024

Yes, I tried that, but I can't change the domain. That's the problem. The edit is in two separate boxes and the domain box is greyed out and defaults to @<username>.atlassian.net

Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2024

From admin.atlassian.com >> Settings >> Emails. Do you see the from email address already added ?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 5.21.01 PM.png

Ok, I added the @hotmail.com domain. Atlassian is doing some type of verification. So, when this is done, I then go back to my project settings, and I should see an additional box with the @hotmail.com domain which I can add the address and make it my default notification email?

The instructions did not fix my problem. I discovered the jira@<mysite>.atlassian.net is the "sender" address. Having it set in the project settings is correct. I ran the notification helper, and it reports my email notifications are being successfully sent to my user@hotmail.com address.

I don't know why I did this, but I sent an invite to one of my Gmail addresses. I did not use the address to accept the invite. However, I opened one of my issues and made some edits. And would you believe it. A notification was sent to the Gmail address. But not to the Hotmail address. It's the Hotmail address which is the account owner and site administrator. What and where is the disconnect here?

Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2024

Got it. The issue is specific to the hotmail email address. Please raise a ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ we can check the email logs.

Since I'm working with a free Jira Cloud account, I'm unable to open a ticket. I'm only directed to report my problem here in the Atlassian Community.

thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events