Next-gen Project - setting default assignee for different bugs based on selected component

Rahul Gupta October 5, 2019

I have created a set of components to be selected when filing a Bug (Issue type). I want to define a rule to assign the "Bug" to someone specific based on the selected "Component". Also would like to get a notification done to a specific email when the "Bug" is filed. This is the workflow I was using in Bugzilla. I looked around but don't see how to do this using next-gen project in Jira.

Appreciate any pointers.

thanks,

Rahul

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2019

Hi @Rahul Gupta

In Next-Gen this isn't possible at this point with components, as they're not available at this point - see JSWCLOUD-17601

There are some available custom fields like the labels field you could use (click here for a list) - but you'd need to consider an app like Markus suggested for the second part.

Is there a need to use Next-Gen for this? In Classic, you could:

1. Create a set of components in your project
  2. Make the assignee based on the component lead, and set the lead for each
  3. Add the component lead to the "issue create" notification if you want them to be notified

^ For sending to a single email address - you can send a notification to any single user. You could either send it to an existing user, or you could add a general email as a user and send the email when it is resolved or closed.

This resolves your need using Classic :)

Ste

Rahul Gupta October 6, 2019

Thanks Stephen. I will stay with Classic for now and wait till Next-gen incorporates these capabilities.

2 votes
1chris May 17, 2020

Finally figured how to add a default assignee for Next Gen Issues.

Just open any existing issue (existing, not new), click Automation rules on the right hand side.

Add a new rule with 'Issue creation' as the trigger, save, then set the assignee.

Now they will always be assigned the issue once it's created. Be aware it can take 2 seconds, so it will be created with unassigned, and then almost instantly change when the rule is run from the trigger. 

I assume we no longer need an assigned lead for projects, as this does exactly the same, but with more control - albeit slightly harder to set up ... though only once, and really only a few more clicks than Classic.

I think it's better overall, but needs more UX management to make it easier to set something which seems a pretty obvious control.

Mario Iván Elizalde Ramírez December 8, 2020

Hi, thanks for your insights on this one, quick question; is there a way to create the rule for a specific issue type? I mean, I'd like to automatically assign the 'bugs' (when a bug is created set assignee to this guy) but no need to do it when creating different ones.

Thanks a lot!!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Mario Iván Elizalde Ramírez 

Yes, Automation rules can be set to specific issue types.

Here's an example of how you could do this:

1. From your Next-Gen project's board, select the lightening bolt icon in the upper-right corner
  2. Select the Issue Trigger
  3. On the next screen, select the Trigger Issue Created
  4. Add a Condition, the Issue fields condition. Choose the field Issue Type, the condition equals and the value Bug
  5. Add an Action, and choose Assign Issue. Set the user to assign Bugs to
  6. Give your rule a name and turn it on

-------------

To also add to the initial response above, you can now set a Project Lead, and set them as the Default Assignee via Next-Gen Project Settings, in the Details tab.

Ste

0 votes
Shachar Iphraimov March 31, 2020

deleted, this not solve your issue.

0 votes
Markus October 5, 2019

Hi @Rahul Gupta

I would recommend checking out CodeBarrel's plugin Automation For Jira. You'll definitely be able to do this with that. 

Cheers,

Mark

Rahul Gupta October 6, 2019

Thanks for the pointer Markus.

Suggest an answer