Next-Gen project per defult on private?

Marco Betzner May 9, 2019

At the moment every single "next generation" project is per default an "open" project. Everybody who has access on jira can see and edit this project. How can i avoid for example external user can see every single next gen project? External means members of an external company who has access to jira, but should only see projects they are relating to them. 

Yes an admin could change the project permission for every single one to private but this take too much time.

For the old projects you could use a permission schema per default to avoid this behavior.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2019

when you create the new project it allows you to select the permissions. you cannot change the default however.

Marco Betzner May 10, 2019

Ok, the problem is the most people who creates new gen project dont know anything about permissions or they dont think about it.

If you create an old project it takes the permissions you have(as admin) set up before per default. So every new project(without new gen) has it right permissions.

Very sad it doenst work.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

i don't understand. when i create a NG project it clearly prompts for how 'open' or 'private' you want the project to be.

Anna May 19, 2019

Yes, the promt works just fine. The problem is, the default setting should be the most  "safe" option. 

The problem is, we have several  external customers whom we grant access to their projects. And we have users.

So if my boss creates a new project like "Super sekrit project for company C" and hammers the blue button (because that's what most users do), it will be visible for every customer, because he forgot to change it from open to private.

I can't babysit Jira 24/7.

And no, apparently you are not able to restrict certain users to one project only, because the user "anyone with access to xyz" user who is added to each open project can't be edited and overwrites every restriction you try to set .

Like Marco Betzner likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2019

You might want to provide feedback to Atlassian via the feedback link. 

Miles Kafka May 10, 2021

Feedback location appears to be here and so far Atlassian seems unmoved:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17234

Suggest an answer