Nested JQL filters

Maria Del Rosario Gonzalez February 29, 2024

I am curious if there is a known limit or perhaps more to the point a performance cost in using multiple nested filters.

For example, filter = FilterA where

FilterA calls Filter2 and Filter3

Filter3 calls Filter4

In other words, a main filter which calls multiple filters which in turn call other filters.

What is considered best practice?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

Hi Maria,

Yes, you can do that. Not sure how "best practice" it is though. And it can get confusing to user who don't know what each filter actually does. But it is possible to do what you describe. 

Maria Del Rosario Gonzalez March 1, 2024

In my use case, I'm trying to reuse the filters for several different solutions and there are some filters that change over time.  I'd like to isolate those that change and leave the others that don't change alone.

I just want to make sure there isn't a performance hit if some arbitrary level such as for example, four levels is hit.

Alternatively, the ideal would be to invoke a filter with a variable(s) that is interpreted at 'run time'.  For example, FilterName param1 param2. 

As far as I know there is no way to actually do that with JQL (Jira Cloud), please correct my understanding.

Thanks in advance!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2024

No, you are not going to be able to introduce variables to JQL, so that option is out. The performance will really depend on the number of issues that are being returned by each filter. Plus going 4 levels deep like that may not guarantee results like you expect. You would just need to test it out good with a small sample first. 

Maria Del Rosario Gonzalez March 4, 2024

Thank you John!  

I suspect there is a trade-off point with the filter levels so I'll test it out and hopefully find the 'sweet spot'.  Thanks again for your response!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2024

You are welcome.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events