My god, please support sorting swimlanes in boards

Brian Franzen May 1, 2018

For the love of God, should a 10 minute code change

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

There's a couple of existing requests in JaC for this, but they keep getting closed down because the people raising them can't define any useful scheme for what they want from the sort.

What would you like to sort, and how?

At least alphabetically by default, but and option to choose a field asc/desc would be ideal

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

And how does that work with ranking?

Ranking is within columns per swimlane, rather than inter-swimlane

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2018

But your sort would destroy the ranking, from what I can see.

I think you need to explain what you would like to sort.  "Swimlanes" is not enough to go on, it needs more explanation.

1. Order swimlanes by a field asc/desc, asc by summary at least

2. Order issues within swimlanes by JQL query order

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2018

No, I'm sorry, but in 1, you've done it again.  "order swimlanes" does not define what you're asking.

2 makes perfect sense, and is already there.

Divorce yourself of what you know of the internal workings and try to look at this from a UX perspective.

When enable swimlanes and collapse them all, you'll see that there's no discernible order to them 

Obviously, query based swimlanes are in explicit order, so try epic or story based swimlanes 

Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2018

Could you describe a usecase for swimlanes ordered asc? I always want the swimlanes containing the most critical / important issues at the top. That’s the way I configure my boards.

How do you do that?  Get your important swimlanes on top?

Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2018
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2018

Basically, that's where I was headed, but wasn't sure!  Thanks @Jan-Peter Rusch for picking it up faster than me!

Yes, thank you @JanR for the suggestion!  Not ideal solution but we can live with it.

Suggest an answer