Migrating user directories away from Jira user management

Five Horizons
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2019

Hi,

There are a number of KB articles on migrating users between directories, however I am not finding an article for the 2 different scenarios I am interested in.  For both scenarios below, Confluence, Bitbucket and Bamboo, need to de-couple from using Jira for user mgmt.

These are all Server versions for each scenario.

Scenario 1:
In the existing configuration, Jira uses MS AD for user management.  The other Atlassian apps point to Jira for user management.
In the desired configuration, Jira continues to use MS AD for user management. The other apps get a new directory to connect directly to MS AD (no longer pointing to Jira for user mgmt)

What is the process in this scenario in order for users to retain their current data access/permissions?

Scenario 2:
In the existing configuration, Jira uses the internal directory for user management.  The other Atlassian apps point to Jira for user management.
In the desired configuration, Jira continues to use the internal directory for user management. The other apps need to stop connecting to Jira, and they need to only user their own internal directory for user mgmt (no longer pointing to Jira for user mgmt)

What is the process in this scenario in order for users to retain their current data access/permissions?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2019

For the first scenario, all you would have to do is add a new user directory in Bamboo/Bitbucket/Confluence and move it to be the first in the list, as long as the username does not change the permission/data access will not change. The only thing you would have to do is manually add the users to the correct groups that you currently have in Jira, if you are using groups.

The same should apply for scenario 2, as long as the usernames stays the same nothing should affect the current access as long as the group are recreated.

Five Horizons
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply! 

So for scenario 2, as an example, when Confluence is pointing to Jira for user management, does the Confluence internal directory (in the Confluence db) also contain all the users?  Or are those existing users only in the Jira db?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2019

No, the internal user directory will not be direct copy of your Jira directory, unless you manually add the users to the internal one. You could also modify the database directly by moving the users from the Jira user directory in Confluence to the internal one, just make sure you have a backup in case something happens. 

I just recently went through a similar migration where we changed ADs and at the same time changed usernames. By adding new user directories you are duplicating the users in the database, but it was a safer way then having to modify the database.

Suggest an answer