Migrating from JIRA Data Center to Server

Johan Westman January 9, 2018

We have been evaluating JIRA server (self-hosted). However during the evaluation JIRA Service Desk license was erroneously marked as "Data Centre".

The issue now is that we would like to install a full-license for the server edition, however JIRA complains that the instance is a Data Centre instance.

How can I change the JIRA instance from Data Centre to Server?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

"one of the licence"?  Server only has one licence, as you can only run one system per licence.

Could you explain *exactly* what servers you have and how they are datacentre or not and how they are linked together?

Johan Westman January 9, 2018

Please see the edit to the question. It was the JIRA Service Desk license that was marked as Data Center, we evaluated both Service Desk and Software on the same server.

When installing the purchased license an error is thrown:

The license could not be installed.

This license is a JIRA Data Center license and is incompatible with the existing installed license configuration.
Please install a Server license. For more information please see License compatibility.

When inspecting the details of the license in my.atlassian it is descibed as JIRA Software (Server) 10 Users: Starter License.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

To convert DC to Server, shut down all but the one node you are going to keep and then apply a Server licence to it.

Ntobeko Mkhize January 10, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I am working with @Johan Westman

We only have one node, and as stated above, JIRA does not accept the license when applied.

"When installing the purchased license an error is thrown:

The license could not be installed.

This license is a JIRA Data Center license and is incompatible with the existing installed license configuration. 
Please install a Server license. For more information please see License compatibility.

When inspecting the details of the license in my.atlassian it is descibed as JIRA Software (Server) 10 Users: Starter License."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Ah, I see, sorry, the edit confused me a bit and I compounded it by misreading things. 

Could you go back to the "Manage applications" screen and check what licence types you have for each application?

Ntobeko Mkhize January 11, 2018

JIRA Software

Trial expires 31/Jan/18

Support entitlement number (SEN)SEN-L10902197

License type Evaluation (Data Center)

JIRA Service Desk

Trial expires 21/Nov/17

Support entitlement number (SEN)SEN-L10536125

License type Evaluation (Data Center)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Ok, that's the problem.  You've got DC licences in place and you're trying to install a Server licence.  The licence types cannot be mixed.

I suspect you will need to blank out the evaluation licence for Service Desk, rendering it inactive (this does not remove any data, just stops the functions working), then you'll be able to apply your Server licence to Software.  Then get a new server licence for SD and re-apply that.

Like Raghavendra Reddy likes this
Ntobeko Mkhize January 11, 2018

This resolved it, thank you.

I first removed Service Desk  (Evaluation) licence key, then applied the Software commercial License, after which I was able to apply the Service Desk commercial Licence.

Suggest an answer