Migrate JIRA Server to new Server, Backup XML or Replicate Database?

Marco Moraglia March 18, 2018

Hello,

I'd like to create a JIRA Server Staging to test the new Server to which we will migrating.

Should I follow Migrating JIRA applications to another server, with XML Backup, or Establishing staging server environments for JIRA applications, where the Database is Replicated?

In the end it will be an exact copy except for the Server hardware and the domain.

The main steps I foresee are:

1. Test Migration on New Server (disabling email and utilizing it as a sandbox)
  2. Block user access and issue update/creation on Old Server
  3. Migrate to New Server
  4. Activate redirects to New Server Domain
  5. Publish New Server Domain to all users

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2018

-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true   use this on your setup if you are worried about your emails.

Marco Moraglia March 21, 2018

Thank you

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2018

IDo you use a DNS Server ?

Given a chance I'd just create a new server separately - and on some cutover day, I'd just redirect the DNS mapping to the new server.

Marco Moraglia March 19, 2018

Thank you Vickey,
Yes for point 4 I will use DNS Server.

What about point 1 should I follow Migrating JIRA applications to another server, with XML Backup, or Establishing staging server environments for JIRA applications, where the Database is Replicated?

Thank you

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2018

I have some more questions - are you planning to create a new database as well ?

Yes, as indicated in both guides, I have proceeded with a new installation of both Database (in my case MySQL) and JIRA (In my case 7.5).
Thanks

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2018

To be frank Marco - when I had my JIRA migrated , I imported XML to a fresh new database and it all worked fine.

Do you have any table customizations to your current database - say table size and likewise.

Before you import xml on to the new database - ensure all your table changes have also been done on the new database.

But at the end it all depends on what you like to try :-) - they are both fine methods to migrate.

You have a new database already so try importing xml to it and work on it.

Thanks Vickey,

I don't have any table customizations.

I was unsure as they both seem to reach the same result, but might also have different benefits.
I'll try with XML and see how it goes!

Thanks

Suggest an answer