Making the team field required

Ron Grosberg September 22, 2019

Hi,

TL;DR - I cannot make the portfolio team field mandatory, even if I unlock it from the DB...

FUll story -

We started using JIRA portfolio, which adds a new "Team" field. previously we had our own custom field for teams.

Since I didn't want to have 2 fields, I bulk updated all of our issues and got rid of the old field to use the new one.... but - our old field was required, and the new field is optional and locked.... I used the following guide so I can unlock it and then make it required:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-unlock-a-locked-jira-software-field-779158866.html

This went well (more or less) except for the fact that even after I changed the "managed" field set to false, the field still seemed to be locked. I then changed the access level in the DB from "locked" to "Unlocled" and then the field seemed to be unlocked, I then tried to change it to be required, and got an HTTP error. so I am stuck without being able to change it.

Am I doing something wrong? is there another way of doing so or is this a limitation that I somehow have to live with (not sure how)?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Mark Borden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2023

I just discovered a work-around for this. I added a field required validator on the create transition for the workflow. it doesn't show the field as required on the create screen, but it won't allow the the issue to be created without and gives an appropriate error message if someone tries to create one.

0 votes
Ron Grosberg September 26, 2019

Anyone? Any Idea?

Prakash
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 9, 2020

Hi @Ron Grosberg 

Did you get any solution for this, we also face this issue. In-case if you have resolved, please share the solution. Else we might need to contact Atlassian.

Thanks in advance!

Ron Grosberg January 10, 2020

Hi @Prakash Palanisamy

Sadly the answer is no. but we actually stopped using portfolio, it did not meat our needs, so it is no longer an issue.

The way we thought to resolve it was paying for the script runner plug-in and then making sure that in the transition of creating an issue this will be a mandatory field.

Ron

Like Prakash likes this

Suggest an answer