Limit the ability to create a new project

zatimond September 5, 2017

Hello,

I wan't to limit/restrict the right to create a new project only to certain admins members. How can I achive that?

Thanks,

Attila

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

If you are a JIRA admin, you can create the projects. You cannot restrict it to selected admins, without doing custom development in JIRA.

I would recommend enforcing it by policy, instead of trying to customize JIRA. Project creation events are logged and hence you can always track who created the project.

My idea was to create a secondary admin group, but with a few rights revoked (also the one that allows you to create a new project).

What do you mean by enforce by policy?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

Jobin means you should tell your people what and how to do things, rather than try to deal with it in JIRA.

Most of us have a JIRA support project, with a "project" type issue type so that users can quickly ask the admins for a new project.  For large installs, some of us automate the process, so that new projects are created via post-functions.

A better option is to have a look in the marketplace though - there are several project handling add-ons.  From memory, the one from Wittified is very good and I think handles delegation, so you can have a group of "project creators"

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you all know the 'tell your people' part is not always the easy road.

Probably, the send an email to create a project is the viable solution without any extra cost and limiting the admin group.

Suggest an answer