Label Colors in Issue

Vivek_Pitumbur October 16, 2018

Hi There,

Is it possible to add different color, other than the default color, to a label in issue?

Thanks,

Vivek

38 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

12 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2018

Hello Vivek,

After some time digging about this feature, I find out that this functionality is not possible at this moment.

We had a feature request in the past asking for this functionality, however, our developers have decided to not implement it due to the small number of requests:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12365

Stuart Pecksen March 22, 2019

I would also love this feature...

Like # people like this
Juan Garcia March 23, 2019

Atlassian is sleeping in the laurels. Azure DevOps has this functionality and more. I am thinking seriously to cancel my subscription. 

Like # people like this
Roger Williams May 1, 2019

Add color to labels.  I'm sure I speak for 100's of thousands of users.

Like # people like this
Darren Beason June 14, 2019

I would also like this feature. I've got about 30-40 stories stacked and all with light gray labels. Gimme some choice in this matter. I want color.

Like # people like this
Kurt Jones July 2, 2019

kanban board.jpgIsn't this image from the website showing what is needed?

Like # people like this
Roger Williams July 30, 2019

Hi Kurt.

It is.  Atlassian - here's an example.

Thanks,
Roger

Like Way One likes this
Edith Mestre January 15, 2020

Would NEED it too.

Like # people like this
ypajie January 23, 2020

Well yes, I found it too in atlassian website

Screenshot_3.png

Like # people like this
dtarver March 4, 2020

What is the link please?  I would like to add colors based on labels too.

Thank you

Like vadamovsky likes this
Test_User March 5, 2020

I also have to say, that my kanban board does not look at all like @ypajie s Screenshot.

Someone explain?

I'm currently using the free version for testing.

Like Annette.Belfrage likes this
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 16, 2020

That looks like epic color, not label. Epic is displayed with color in the board.

Like # people like this
Troy Dyer July 13, 2020

That does look like Epic (not Label).

Like Stephan Schmid likes this
Stefanos Kargas November 9, 2021

I would like to have this feature also

Manuela Crespi November 12, 2021

Was that any implementation? I am starting using Trello and I would need possibility to create new colored labels

Stuart Dobson May 5, 2022

Still waiting for this in May 2022

Like # people like this
pph7 May 9, 2022

Let's face it, it's never gonna happen.

Like # people like this
Daniel Keeley May 24, 2022

29479 views :|

Like # people like this
Dean DiMonte May 26, 2022

Is this similar to not being able to change a "status label" colour?   For example "escalated" in my status, can that be changed to "red"?

Like Annette.Belfrage likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
pph7 July 14, 2020

There seem to be multiple issues for this. Wonder which is the correct one... Better make sure you vote on all of them:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71983

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-19551

Juan Garcia July 14, 2020

They have stated that they will not implement it. They have a very monolithic system and even with their Rest APIs you can guess that all they have is an old JSP server and there is no way they can implement much new functionality. Our best bet is to switch to another product and let Attlassian come with another product or buy another one.

Like # people like this
pph7 July 14, 2020

but they already have the "Next Gen" product, which also does not have this feature..

Our best bet is to switch to another product and let Attlassian come with another product or buy another one.

Probably right, but unfortunately often we have to work with what the customer uses so there is not always a choice in that matter.

Juan Garcia July 14, 2020

I use Trello because they have this and Atlassian bought it. Their 'nextGen' it is probably just a new version of their monolithic system. They need a new product from scratch. Microservices and move away from JSP. I am using their products less and less just because of this. Microsoft will catch up with the acquisitions they are making an how they are integrating everything with Azure.

Atlassian needs to restructure or die.

Like # people like this
19 votes
Roger Williams January 24, 2020

Ok Atlassian -  Any update on getting color labels?  Should be a easy update I would think.  What's taking so long???

11 votes
Kenny Dion July 10, 2020

colorcoded.png

I had this request recently.

Crazy this feature is not implemented. Just wanted to throw this out here. We have started using colored emojis in the label itself, then in Board settings show labels on issue.

Only tested on KanBan boards.

https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=circle

Kenny Dion July 10, 2020

The emoji needs to be the last character to show up in the label drop down though.

for example: "Test📌"

Otherwise it doesn't show, not even in the dashboard widget as a used label.

Like # people like this
pph7 July 13, 2020

Very nice workaround. Thank you!

Like Kenny Dion likes this
Troy Dyer July 13, 2020

Thanks for sharing this cool workaround.

Mattias Harneman August 28, 2020

Sorry, I'm new to Jira, how do you insert the emoji in the label? I tried to insert an emoji in the description then Cut and Paste it in the end where I create a label, but that didn't work.

Or can't you do it when you are editing an Task for eg?

Kenny Dion August 28, 2020

I've had best luck in copying the single emoji from the site I linked above. The "copy" feature they give on the site doesn't work for me in Jira. So I find the emoji I want, highlight the one they have next to the name, copy that and paste at the end of a label. 

https://emojipedia.org/large-purple-circle/ 

purple.pngHope that helps

Like # people like this
Mattias Harneman August 31, 2020

That worked for me as well, thanks a lot!

shawn.fumo December 9, 2021

The emojis does seem like the easiest solution. Another thing people can try (if you know CSS) is using a browser extension like Stylebot to add custom CSS, using a selector based on the tag's text. Of course each person viewing the board needs to do it themselves if they want it.

Max Ålander March 22, 2022

Thanks! This was a great workaround!

6 votes
Tarik Demnati August 26, 2019

We would like to have this feature.

5 votes
bsfez April 30, 2020

"however, our developers have decided to not implement it due to the small number of requests"

Seriously ?? Jira not having coloured labels by default on day 1  in mid-2020 ... 🤔

It is critical to many people that are working in different fields.

A reason I would stop using Jira if I can't find an easy solution in the coming days.

I selected Jira to be more productive, not to waste time on extra learning, baby-sitting the solution or change my ways of working. (wasted more than 30mn only for this 😡)

5 votes
Jody Topping March 23, 2020

Ability to add more label colors is absolutely essential. I hope you've received enough feedback by now to make this a high priority. Thank you.

5 votes
Vivek_Pitumbur October 17, 2018

Thank you so much guys, your input has been helpful. I have logged a request for feature.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2018

You're welcome, Vivek. Hopefully there is more interest in this feature and it gets implemented one day. I think it's a good idea!

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 7, 2019

+1

Juan Garcia July 30, 2019

wrong account 

4 votes
Penelope Curtis January 18, 2020

Yes we really need to assign colour to different labels like in Trello.  Is there an update on this feature?

4 votes
Alexander Chertovsky November 5, 2019

upvoting the request, i would love to separate issues not only by epic colors, but also by label colors

4 votes
Charlotte Nordnes-Jensen October 24, 2019

Coloring of labels will make my life as a product manager easier. We need more flexible and visual ways to sort, label and prioritize our backlog.

3 votes
Ikramur Rahman October 13, 2020

we would also like to have this feature.

3 votes
Deleted user April 28, 2020

the new cloud issue is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71983

Please vote there

I have not found an issue for server yet

Like # people like this
3 votes
Mishi Patel October 10, 2019

When are we having this feature ?

3 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2018

Hi Vivek,

It doesn't seem that this is natively supported by JIRA, but you could vote for the request here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-12365

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12365

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2018
Jody Topping April 26, 2020

Carlos,

A lot more people have expressed interest in this enhancement. Do we have enough now for this to be added to the list of things to do by the developers? It seems like a pretty popular enhancement.

Like treece likes this

Atlassian closed the JSWSERVER issue in Mar 2018 by rejecting it. How do we reopen the request?

Juan Garcia April 28, 2020

I moved to Trello. Then Atlassian acquired it. I have one paid add-on for burn rate charts that belongs to Atlassian too. 

I think it is time to move on and reject Jira until they awake on their laurels. Azure DevOps has surpassed Jira a long time ago. Github purchase made it even better. 

Atlassian has lost interest in the on-premise software in favour of their cloud-based subscription. And even there they cannot add a simple functionality like this and you get this and more for free in Azure DevOps. 

I am only sticking to Trello because it has a nice desktop app. If Azure DevOps released an app then I'd move on to them very quickly.

This is an example of how a good company screwed it up with cockiness and prepotency towards customers and I hear towards employees as well. 

2 votes
scsimmons November 15, 2019

+1 - request for this functionality, please.

2 votes
Ren Tetrault October 16, 2019

Jira Cloud, dragable color labels with color wheel sorely needed.

1 vote
Joana Araújo April 21, 2021

Any update here? How many votes does they need to start considering the development?

1 vote
Paul Rowlands October 14, 2020

The tab in my browser shows this as "Solved: Label Colors in Issue".

How is it solved, please?

1 vote
Ryan Yang April 18, 2019

We would love to see this feature too because our team is hoping to use color label for stories so that each team will see clearly on which stories they should involve in backlog.

0 votes
Ani.Moller May 31, 2022

I need this feature too. Like... urgently!

0 votes
chris_parkinson February 11, 2022

+1 label colours, just do it.

0 votes
mmartinez November 1, 2021

+1 colors for labels

0 votes
Roger Williams April 21, 2021

We moved on from Jira to Asana.  Asana is much easier to work with and has colors!

0 votes
Ruslan Sabirov March 29, 2021

+1

0 votes
Matt Casey March 12, 2021

I found a decent alternative by creating custom Issue types in the new 'next gen' UI: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Understanding-issue-types-in-jira/ba-p/1497237?jira_cloud_basics_1=&link_1=&ref=community_jira&showcase=. At least you can pick the icon for the cards.

0 votes
Jordi Bolet December 7, 2020

+1 label colors

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question