Jira time out issue

Evonne Fernandes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

We are using a client instance of Jira cloud using our company ID. Jira seems to be logging out after 15 mins of inactivity every time. We have raised this issue with the IT team for client and Atlassian, but they routed us to our company mentioning this is a domain issue. Our company IT is mentioning this is a client instance of Jira hence either the client or Atlassian should extend the timeout time. We have been running between 3 IT teams but no solution. Can anyone suggest how we can resolve this issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2024

Hi @Evonne Fernandes,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The only thing that controls idle session duration on the Atlassian side would be if you have an authentication policy set that have a duration set to shorter than the default 30 days.

Are you using an identity provider like Okta to get access to Jira? Does this happen in any browser, or is it just specific to one?

Evonne Fernandes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

Thank you for the welcome.

We do not use Okta to access Jira.

It logs out on all browsers post 15 mins idle time.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2024

I suspect this is a security parameter. In the DoD world the user is logged out if they aren't active after 15 minutes. The problem with Jira and other applications is you may be filling out areas on the screen, get a phone call, or something else, but if the application doesn't communicate with the server it figures you're inactive and logs you out. This is a common complaint. On trick we use with Jira is have a dashboard with a gadget that refreshes every 15 minutes on our screen when not actively doing something else. It isn't a perfect solution, but it works most of the time. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events