Jira is not stripping our prior replies from HTML emails from Outlook clients

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Jira isn't stripping out prior replies on emails that come from users using Outlook & HTML email format. Your page here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Strip+the+Old+Reply+Data+from+Email+When+Using+Outlook

gives some guidelines that don't work with HTML emails, only plaintext emails. One of the commentors suggested /From:*/ but that cuts off replies from the first From, as colon isn't apparently counted as wordspace in a regex expression. What is your best solution to solve this?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2012

The best I can come up with for both Outlook emails and external emails is this regex:

Split Regex: /From: |> /

That looks for either "From " (with a space) and "> " with a space. It is correctly snipping off prior bits 95% of the time; we don't have alot of people that intersperse quotes with comments either. It's just going to have to be a learned behavior. I think intelligent email parsing is a gap in Jira (5.1 or greater) at the moment.

Edit April 16th, 2013.

We have a handful of users using the Mail program in Windows 8, and Microsoft had to once again reinvent the wheel with their quote standard. This should catch Windows 8 Mail replies along with a handful of other clients:

Split Regex: /From: |> |Sent from Windows Mail|---Original Message---/

1 vote
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2012

Hi Kelly,

I believe you can remove the quotes from your Outlook emails with the following:

Use "Create or Comment Handler" with Strip Quotes enabled;

Edit the file "outlook-email.translations" located at JIRA-INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes and add "From:" at a new line (without the quotes);

This should tell JIRA that From: is also a mark os quoted content.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2012

I intend on keeping Jira up to date, so solutions that involve editing internal Jira files are least desirable to me. I accomplished what should be almost as good with:

/From: /

In the handler. The handler settings should be saved in Jira's DB, so next upgrade there is nothing to migrate or recreate.

I tried a couple varieties like anchoring it, i.e. /^From:*/, but apparently the regex engine Jira uses reads the entire email as a single string, so it failed to match since a legitimate email wouldn’t start with From:. You’d have to get a linefeed search in there as well, which I cannot do (my ship has broken on the shoals of regex).

-Kelly

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2012

JEMH allows the dynamic modification of regexps without JIRA tweaks or restarts.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2013

When we reply from mobile, it is still adding a some extra content. How can that be controlled?

Srinivas

0 votes
Markus Zimmermann January 21, 2014

Looks like a lot of people have the same problems with incoming mails. I made a small script which can trim text and html content and also remove referenced attachments of the trimmed content.

Please have a look https://github.com/zimmski/filter-reply-mails

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2013

Hi Kelly,

I had exactly the same problem.. You can check also my regex

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/54911/jira-comments-from-email?page=1#78627

Best Regards,

Mirek

Suggest an answer