Jira is not able to start (8.20.8 version)

RS August 30, 2022

Whenever I try to start the Jira application. I'm getting the below error log in catalina.out file. Any help?

NOTE: Picked up JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS: --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.base/java.io=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED
--add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED
[0.001s][warning][gc] -Xloggc is deprecated.
Will use -Xlog:gc:/home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/logs/atlassian-jira-gc-%t.log instead.
<JAVA_HOME>/lib/ext exists, extensions mechanism no longer supported; Use -classpath instead.
.Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

And when I try to stop the application. I'm getting below error

[root@xxxs1 atlassian]# service jira stop
executing using dedicated user

Atlassian Jira
Version : 8.20.8

If you encounter issues starting or stopping Jira, please see the Troubleshooting guide at https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-0820/Troubleshooting+installation

Server startup logs are located in /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_OPTS:
Using CATALINA_PID: /home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/work/catalina.pid
/home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/bin/check-java.sh: line 31: [: -ne: unary operator expected
/home/opt/app/atlassian/jira_install/bin/set-gc-params.sh: line 5: [: -ge: unary operator expected
PID file found but either no matching process was found or the current user does not have permission to stop the process. Stop aborted.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2022
Hi RS,

Thanks for posting to the Atlassian Community!

The start message you are seeing indicates that the Java Virtual Machine (which is basically the part of Java that runs all the Java code) could not be started. With the Java Virtual Machine, Jira cannot run.

I have a few questions to help us understand the scenario a bit better:
  • When did this start happening?
  • How specifically are you trying to start Jira? (are you using the start-jira.sh script)?
  • When you are attempting to stop Jira, do you actually see a process for Jira running even though it fails to start?

Best,
Andy
RS September 1, 2022

Hi @Andy Rusnak ,

1. I had cloned to the already existing dev instance from prod which is on the same version. After this, we started getting this error.

2. service jira start/stop

3. We don't see any process running with the ps command

RS September 2, 2022

Hi @Andy Rusnak ,
I'm able to solve the JVM issue, but got stuck at the below issue: Any help ?

2022-09-02 18:09:32,250+0000 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.SystemPluginsEnabledHealthCheck] We couldn't start the following plugins:
- Jira Projects Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin)
- Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin)
- Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
- Applinks - Plugin - Core (com.atlassian.applinks.applinks-plugin)
- Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
- Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
- Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
- Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Global Issue Navigator (com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin)
- Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
- Atlassian Jira - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
- Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
- Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2022

Hi @RS , 

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the JVM start issue.  In terms of the plugin issue, we would likely need to review the atlassian-jira.log during the start up to see what error the plugins are throwing.  

There is also Troubleshoot a Jira Server startup failed error knowledge base article that walks through several possible scenarios for this type of behavior.  So this may also be a good place to start along with reviewing the atlassian-jira.log during the startup to see if there are any error messages that surface within that log.  

Best, 

Andy

RS September 9, 2022

Hi @Andy Rusnak ,

The issue has been resolved, System is up now. thanks

Like Andy Rusnak likes this
Muskan Pradhan January 14, 2024

Hi @RS 

How did you resolve JVM issue?
please specify

Thanks,
Muskan