Jira fails to connect to SMTP

James.Cole
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 4, 2019

We have been using outgoing email from JIRA server successfully via an SMTP relay and it has been working fine and all of sudden it has stopped working. 

There has been no changes or updates in any of the configuration to JIRA or access to the SMTP relay and I can successfully send an email using powershell on the same server as it is installed on.

However, when sending attempting to test the connection from JIRA we get a connection refused.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2019

Hello James,

Thank you for reporting the steps you’ve taken to look into the issue along with any changes that are possible within your network. There could be multiple reasons as to why Jira is unable to send an email via your SMTP server. Here are a few options I would review:

• Ensure any credentials used for the SMTP relay and accurate
  • Ensure the firewall is not blocking outbound TCP 25 from your Jira instance and inbound TCP 25 on your mail server (From your Jira instance)
  • Check any SMTP relays and ensure they're accepting connecting from your Jira server (IPv4 or IPv6).
  • Verify your settings are configured correctly: Configuring an SMTP mail server to send notifications

If you’re still having issues with your SMTP relay with Jira, please report back any findings within the logs. We’re looking for anything with Warning, Error or Caused By. This will be helpful in narrowing down the cause of the mail failure.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer