Jira Upgrade to 8.13.8 Stuck at extracting files

Roy Rizkallah July 16, 2021

I have Jira8.5 installed and running smoothly. Whil trying to upgrade to 8.13.8 the installation starts and at the end stucks at extracting files. Any Help?

2 answers

0 votes
Jakub Szczepaniak October 8, 2021

[UPDATE]

===================

After several hours (up to 9 hours) installer finished the upgrade. 

done.JPG

Overall, this is very unintuitive behaviour for installer.

I have voted in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71842 to make it better.

=======================

Hello,

I have the same problem.

I`m trying to upgrade Jira Software 7.5.1 to Jira Software 8.13.11 and have the same issue.

What I`m doing is:

• all plugins disabled
  • all applinks removed
  • stop service
  • remove (backup) of /plugins folder in JIRA_HOME
  • running installer as an administrator
  • after several minutes, backing up JIRA_INSTALL and extracting new files installer got stuck on extracting files... 

Since I am doing test upgrade on Jira replica from production this is my 3rd attempt and I am keep restoring snapshot from VM and trying various approaches.

Maybe manual installation (downloading .zip) will help?

extracting.JPG

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2021

Hi,

And what's wrong with extracting files? This is how the standard upgrade takes place.

Pavel

Roy Rizkallah July 16, 2021

@Pavel Junek Capture.JPG

IT is stuck on this window. I am using windows, and I choose to upgrade existing jira insalled

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2021

I wonder if it block an antivirus, that won't run the extracted files.
Since this is a Windows server, I recommend trying to run the upgrade again after restarting the server.

Dong Park July 26, 2021

I'm having the same issue.  Have you found the solution to the issue?

Roy Rizkallah August 7, 2021

Hi @Dong Park , 

Still have the same problem. Not solved yet. 

Did you manage to solve it ? No antiviurs installed on the server.

Dong Park August 8, 2021

Hi @Roy Rizkallah ,

I've never successfully upgraded Jira Core, Jira Software, and Jira Service Desk on Windows machine.  I don't think this is due to antivirus because no issue installing from fresh on the same machine.  

I honestly think Atlassian doesn't put much efforts on Windows as much as they do on Linux for Jira.  I'm having so much problems with Jira on Windows.  

To name a few:

1.  dbconfig.xml gets wiped out if the Java tool hangs or stuck.

2. Upgrading Jira(which doesn't work) removes Windows service, and now I can't manually install the service anymore(another issue).

3. Upgrading Jira(which doesn't work) removes jks file(https) and changes the config file back to port 80(http),  doesn't mention in the upgrade doc.  

Suggest an answer