Jira Sever Logs Too Large

Hamdy Atakora April 12, 2019

Our Jira instance disk space appears to be filling up way too often. I narrowed down the issue to the log folder where there are two file in this format

*jiraXXXXXXX-stderr.YYYY-MM-dd (1)

*jiraXXXXXXX-stdout.YYYY-MM-dd (2)

File (2) can grow but not as much as file (1). File (1) sometimes are in the 20GB. I am not sure what type of logs these are.

I usually delete them to free up space but then 5 days after it fills up again. 

Are these important? What type of logs are these? How can i disable them? At least the first one.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ed Gaile
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2019

Hey Hamdy -

JIRA is a java application so those logs are related to the tomcat which JIRA runs on.  Do you know if you are running JIRA as a service? If so, those logs should roll over.  

Have you looked in the logs to see what/if any errors are being thrown? Seeing if there are any error/fatal events in the log may lead to correcting an issue (i.e. wonky plugin) that could reduce the rate the log fills up.

Couple of reference links:

stdout and stderr logs

large stdout file

Suggest an answer