Jira Search API not returning subtasks or issuelinks

Pat Herlihy November 2, 2015

I am search for a specific Epic using the /search API. I am sending a POST request like so:

{
  jql: 'id = "TCK-4000"',
  startAt: 0,
  maxResults: 50,
  fields: ['*all']
}

Which returns fine and I am able to parse the JSON from the response and get something like:

[
  {
    "expand": "operations,versionedRepresentations,editmeta,changelog,transitions,renderedFields",
    "id": "ID",
    "self": "LINK",
    "key": "TCK-4000",
    "fields": {
      "issuetype":

However, in the response I see:

"subtasks": [],
"issuelinks": [],

Which is incorrect because I can browse the issue manually and see 5+ subtasks/linked issues. Is there something else I need to add? This is a major issue.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2015

Are you sure these issues are links or subtasks?  And not Epic Links?

Pat Herlihy November 2, 2015

Yeah they are all set as Tasks. Is there anyway to include the Epic children?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2015

I'm sorry, I was not clear there. The task type does not matter, what I was asking about was the type of link, or, in more abstract terms, the "relationship". You could use "issue links" to link an issue to another. You could create "subtasks" on an issue, which implies a parent-child relationship. And the one I'm interested in here - you can create "Epic links" to issues to show that they are part of the epic. You can probably see where I'm headed with this - links and subtasks are represented in your response JSON, but I suspect the third one, which should be coming out as a custom field, rather than the "system field" level link or subtask.

Suggest an answer