You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I am trying to do a CSV import into Jira and have several date fields in my CSV file. Some seem to have dates and times, others just dates.
I assume this is a date format issue. When I go to import I am only given a single option for date format. I chose the default: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
It looks to me like I have day month year, but in all honestly this kind of syntax is not my strong suit. Based on the information here, is the solution obvious?
Apologies if this seems like a repeat question. I did search the community for answers, but I don't think I was able to find an exact match to this issue.
Import completed with 9 warnings:
Apparently you only need to adjust the date format.
This is the import format: DD/MMM/YY
This is how you are using it: 9/15/22
And here is how you should use it: 15/Sep/22
Change the month identifier, instead of numbers, use the first 3 letters of the desired month.
@Fernando Eugênio da Silva sorry but I don't understand.
I don't have data using the first 3 letters of the month. That's not how its formatted.
I have fields formatted the way they are in the error. I need to import the data as it is. I don't have it any other way. Why can't Jira accept the month/day/year format?
I get that I did it wrong, putting in day/month/year, but why now do I need text for months? I have thousands of entries, I can't just go rewrite them manually.
Apparently this is the format that is configured in Jira. If you want to change this, you must ask your jira administrator to change the date and time settings so that jira will use the format you are trying to import.
I solved it. There were two problems.
I created my own workaround since the idea of doing a second import was NOT appealing. (Neither was using VLOOKUP, which I have no experience with)
As an alternative, I opened my CSV in a spreadsheet app and sorted by each date field so I could clump all the values for that field at the top. Then for each field, I copied values to a text editor (I used VSCode, Notepad ++ will work if you're fortunate enough to have Windows) and recorded a macro in which I suffixed each date with a dummy time and ran it to the end, so that every date had a dummy time, and then pasted back into the spreadsheet.
Do this for every date-only field - sort, copy to the text editor, modify, copy back to the spreadsheet, move on to the following date field - until all the date fields are done, and then restore the original sort order you had if that had any importance and save a new copy of your CSV for import.
Now you'll be able to import into date pickers without error, and the time values will just be ignored.