Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Jira CSV import errors - Unable to parse datetime - how can I fix this?

I am trying to do a CSV import into Jira and have several date fields in my CSV file.  Some seem to have dates and times, others just dates.

I assume this is a date format issue. When I go to import I am only given a single option for date format.  I chose the default: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

It looks to me like I have day month year, but in all honestly this kind of syntax is not my strong suit.  Based on the information here, is the solution obvious?

Apologies if this seems like a repeat question.  I did search the community for answers, but I don't think I was able to find an exact match to this issue.

Import completed with 9 warnings:

• Unable to parse datetime: 7/21/22 17:58 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 7/19/22 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 6/22/22 14:18 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 6/7/22 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 5/13/22 11:48 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 5/13/22 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 4/13/22 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 4/12/22 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a
  • Unable to parse datetime: 5/13/22 11:47 using the date format pattern: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

1 answer

@Rob Horan 

Apparently you only need to adjust the date format.

This is the import format: DD/MMM/YY
This is how you are using it: 9/15/22
And here is how you should use it: 15/Sep/22

Change the month identifier, instead of numbers, use the first 3 letters of the desired month.

@Fernando Eugênio da Silva sorry but I don't understand.

I don't have data using the first 3 letters of the month.  That's not how its formatted.

I have fields formatted the way they are in the error.  I need to import the data as it is.  I don't have it any other way.  Why can't Jira accept the month/day/year format?

I get that I did it wrong, putting in day/month/year, but why now do I need text for months?  I have thousands of entries, I can't just go rewrite them manually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

4,994 views 18 31
Read article

Atlassian Community Events