JIRA won't let me edit my workflow

Hassan Hashmi October 10, 2018

Everytime I try to delete a step in my workflow, I get the following error, "You can't edit this workflow right now. Project administrators can only edit workflows that aren't shared with other projects." I am using JIRA Version 7.12.1.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

3 answers

3 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

Hi Hassan,
You'll need to talk to the system administrator - the same workflow you're trying to edit is used in multiple Jira projects, and if you changed it, it would affect them as well. That's why Jira is blocking you from making changes.

-Josh

Hi Josh,

I am the system admin and have the maximum rights possible. That workflow is only assigned to one project. I have tried editing when it is not assigned to any project as well, will no luck (when the workflow is inactive). 

0 votes
Daniel Törnqvist May 31, 2019

Did you ever resolve this problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

I suspect they found an admin.

0 votes
Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

Hassan, given your response to Josh's comment, have you tried making a copy of the workflow, editing it, and then associating it with the project?

I've experienced occasional strangeness where I couldn't edit various schemes associated with only one project (or no projects), and cloning it and deleting the original has always done the trick. 

Hi Michael, 

Yes I have tried that too. I made of the copy of the workflow and still get the same error. 

Based on the error I am getting, I think JIRA is not reading my permissions correctly. This is a new instance of JIRA that we just installed and it seems to be happening with all of the workflows. 

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2018

Yes, I think you may be right. Is there a generic jira admin account you can try?

Suggest an answer