JIRA upgrade from 7.13 to version 8.13.2. integrated with MMSQL Server DB 2016R2 SP2

sujata Birajdar January 11, 2021

i , 

we are planning to upgrade JIRA from version 7.13 to version 8.13.2 . The Database used  is MSSQL 2016R2 SP2. and the JDBC driver used is version 6. do i need to upgrade the driver while doing the upgrade to version 7 , or the database is supported for version 8.1.3.2

1 answer

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi @sujata Birajdar ,

please check the below screen shot for 8.13,2  compatibility for SQL SERVER

image.png

sujata Birajdar January 12, 2021

Hi Kagithala, 

I am aware of this supported platform details page. My query is do i need to update the JDBC driver before the upgrade or while doing the upgrade i can update it , or the driver will automatically get updated . 

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Hi @sujata Birajdar ,

You need to download Microsoft JDBC 7.21 driver.

After DB Upgrade you need to place the updated driver in the following path.

and place in the following location

<JIRA installation directory>/lib/

Note: Please check in Staging First  DB Server first. keep the production as same.

Hi, 

we dont have staging environment as such and we are planning to upgrade our production instance directly. bt i didnt understand why there is a need to upgrade the database . 

the database we have currently is 2016R2 SP2 MSSQL server , Could you please confirm if this is compatible with version 8.13 as in the supported platform only the 2016 SQL server is mentioned . 

we though only updating the driver will work or do we need to upgrade the DB as well for the JIRA upgrade.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Hi ,

Me just populated the first screenshot only to show which DB is compatible for Jira.

There is no need of Upgrading Database.

I think you only need to use they mentioned Database driver , which is Microsoft JDBC 7.2.1.

Thank for the update Kagithala .

the JDBC driver needs to be updated while doing the JIRA upgrade or before the upgrade also we can update the Driver and proceed with the JIRA upgrade to version 8.13.2 .

what is the expected approach.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

After DB Upgrade.

Before Starting Jira Service is my suggestion.

After DB upgrade? 

since the Database used is the supported platform for 8.1.3.2 i dont think there is a need to upgrade DB , 

so as per your suggestion we should update the driver while doing the upgrade of JIRA to version 8 1.3.2. but before starting the JIRA service.?

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Sorry , i was in same thinking of Upgrading DB. 

Please paste Database driver before starting the Jira Service.

Sorry for the trouble.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events