JIRA for only private purposes free?

Marcel Fritsch May 11, 2014

I got word that the use of JIRA for only private purposes is free of charge.

I only use JIRA for me and my wife.

Is this correct and what do you need to verify the private usage.

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

17 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Posting an update to this question as it still rates highly in Google.

Jira Software now offers a free edition for up to 10 users. Anyone can sign up and receive this edition just go to https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing

Regards
Ben 
Jira PM.

nsoonhui_mes June 11, 2020

But on the page (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing) it also says that $10 / mo.Flat rate For 1 - 10 users.

So is it really free for <10 users, or USD 10/month flat rate?

Alan Johnson June 12, 2020

Yes. the calculator at the top is set to show you "standard" pricing.  Change the "hard to see" dropdown on the left to "free", and you will see you can get to 10 in a free plan.

I have an account setup for 3 users, and it is free.

Like # people like this
Alex Preciado June 12, 2020

True! But the FREE option in the dropdown menu appears only when I visit that page using Chrome. For some reason that option is not visible in Safari 😳.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 4.55.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 4.56.22 PM.png

Like # people like this
nsoonhui_mes June 12, 2020

Atlassian is trying really hard to annoy people into paying for free package 😄

4 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Hello Marcel,

All atlassian tools are free free for use by official not for profit organisations and charities, not for private purposes. As Mathias said, you need 10 users license.

Regards,

Fabio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Secular charities by the way.

Also, if you just buy the $10 licence, that money all goes to a reading charity, which is nice too.

Like Benjamin Trolte likes this
Joe Chiejina January 18, 2019

Definitely,

I will do that later.  I volunteer for Heart and Stroke, and Habitat for humanity. My wife makes monthly payment to sick kids

Like Dave Rayment likes this
L_ Holanda July 4, 2019

I live in a housing coop that is a non-profit established since 1982. We have a maintenance team of volunteers, I wish I could use JIRA to track our work to be done. Would that fit in the not for profit free for use?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2019

Possibly - the basic rules are "charity" (not strictly "non profit" - there's a large shopping chain in the UK that qualifies as "non profit", but absolutely is not a charity) and "secular". 

Best thing to do is fill in the application for a free licence and see what happens.

3 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

No, this is not right. You need a license in any case. In your case you need a starter license (1-10 users) for $10. Please read https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira

2 votes
Jim C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2014

Hi Marcel,

We used to offer a free 3 user license years ago, but we discontiued that when we introduced the Starter License program in 2009. All the proceeds from the $10 licenses goes to Room to Read to build reading rooms and libraries for children.

Moises Romero December 1, 2014

Hi all!

A question related to this issue.

If I want to buy a starter license for private use at home I have to fill the company information too.

The field in the form are mandatory.

But I don't have any company. Should I write something like "-" in all fields related to the company

Thank you in advance!!

Jim C.
Atlassian Team
December 1, 2014

Hi Moises,

The field is mandatory, it is used for licensing. You'll then want to put your name in the field so it can licensed to you.

I hope this explains.

Jim Conaty

Joe Chiejina January 18, 2019

Thanks for tis opportunity. I am trying to personally learn the use of JIRA.

I will try to practice it with fictitious projects. I will not use it for any commercial purpose . This has to be practiced only in my home

Kind regards,

Joe Chiejina

Like J likes this
skittlyoaten January 27, 2019

You can also use Zoho.  They do have a free tier for 3 users or less.  I do wish Jira still had this feature for us (very) small businesses, or personal use (hard to pay $10 a month when you are starting out and not making money, only spending it).

Like YHM likes this
Guru Pandit May 8, 2019

There are many other software out there that can be used for your purposes. Start with Trello, although even that is acquired by Atlassian now, it still can be used for the free use purpose.

Just use the search term JIRA alternative in Google

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question