JIRA automation with Backlog status

Delta Development October 8, 2020

Hi all,

We need Issue status "backlog" in next-gen project automation.

"on creation"  event we are able to select "Backlog" as destination, but WHY cant we use backlog as "transition to" from the board status? It's not available as status in project rules.

It IS available in Global rule, but is not "resolvable" by the project automation.

Also, If we create a card "Backlog" on the board, it has NO relation at all to the project backlog.

What's going on here and WHY is the Backlog not FULLY implemented in Jira. It seems to be some "cosmetic" implementation.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

I may not be following you here. In NG the Backlog board is defined by the leftmost column in your sprint or Kanban board. So let’s say you have the following columns: To Do > In Progress > Done then all issues in To Do status appear in the Backlog board. If you creat a new issue it will be in To Do status initially and therefore in the Backlog. Now one thing to note is if you add a new leftmost column and call it say Backlog that will not automatically result in the previous To Do issues moving off the “Backlog board”. However, any newly created issues will be in “Backlog” status.

if I am missing your issue please LMK.

There's no transition to trigger on. The project lead only should be able to move work packages to the board (ToDo) and not others.

This transition needs trigger for messaging the assignee.

The issue in backlog is set be a To-do status. but why is it that if "on create" event the issue can be put in backlog with a transition to "Backlog" status, if there is no "backlog" as status to trigger in OR to transition from board back to "backlog".

If its in backlog, in my opinion it should also have status backlog because it has no relation to the board (yet).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2020

so i'm not following exactly as it seems we have migrated away from the original post a bit or maybe it is just more details.

• With next-gen there are certainly transitions they are simply of type "All" where you can transition (drag and drop on board or selecting the status field in the detailed view).
  • Regarding "the project lead only....", NG does not allow for restricting the ability to transition. If this is required in your project you need to move to Classic.
  • Regarding "transition needs trigger for messaging the assignee", I don't understand this. However, all notifications for NG are under project settings > notifications so I would refer you there. For example transitions between statuses/columns would fall under the "Issue updated" notification.
  • Regarding "The issue in backlog is set be a To-do...". I am not following but I would again reitterate that the Backlog board does not require that the status of the issues that appear on that board to be named "Backlog". Backlog Is defined by the leftmost status/column. You could call it "Fred" if you wanted to. It is just a name. It is To Do by default when you create a project because, well that is how Atlassian designed it. They could have just as easily called it "Open" or "New". Sorry if i'm missing your point here. :-(
  • Regarding "...it should have a status backlog...". As stated above. Just change it. Add Backlog to the leftmost column. Move your current "To Do" issues that appear in the Backlog board to "Backlog" status and you are done. You have the project configured the way you want.

Sorry if I'm not clear enough.

1) every new issue starts in Backlog, no matter if they are created on the board, by "create new" button in the banner bar or in the backlog-page. They should have status "backlog" and not visible on the board as long as they remain in Backlog (could be 1000 issues).

2) the project-Lead ONLY should assign issues as work-packages to assignees and handover as active jobs by transferring to the board (ToDo). This prevent "cherry picking" thw fun-stuf by team members and leaving the sh!t for others. And prevent that they have to much work without anything finishing.

So, if someone creates a task on the board I NEED to transfer the issue to Backlog (what now fails on an unresolvable status) and I can't prevent members to transfer from Backlog to board (because it's already status "Todo"). So automation and backlog fails here.

Renaming "Todo" status to "Backlog" doesn't solve this, then it's already on the board (active work) and not in a backlog where it's designed for in the firstplace.

Like Alex Palmer likes this
0 votes
Alex Palmer December 22, 2020

Unfortunately I am struggling with the same thing here @tjarcoboerkoel It appears there is not a way currently to implement what so many people are looking for which is to NOT use sprints which many others have suggested. It looks like it is on the backlog here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Jira-Automation-Adding-new-issue-to-board/qaq-p/1472581

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events