JIRA Startup fail after upgrade to 8.1.2

Calderara Serge July 16, 2019

Dear all,

We are using Jira DataCenter on Azure runing version 7.13 and working fine so far.

We run a test plan upgrade on our test node in order to update to 8.1.2 Jira version.

We use the Zero downtime procedure https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-data-center-with-zero-downtime-938846953.html to run the upgrade process and since that time we are not able to start Jira and report following error in catalina.out log file :

JIRA-Bootstrap FATAL [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Star tup check failed. JIRA will be locked.

We cross check permission and ownership and recover setting entry in different files lilke setenv.sh, server.xml, jira-application.properties

We could not see any other information .

Any idea what can be check else ?

regards

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Calderara Serge July 18, 2019

I manage to solve the issue by restarting from scratch and not click on the Update Mode button for Jira update which causing trouble in my migration steps

regards

0 votes
Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2019

I usually see this message when the previous Jira process is still running, and you are trying to start a new one.

Check how many Jira processes are running now.

ps -ef | grep java

If more than one, kill both and restart the Jira.

UPD

Check the rights to the Jira-inst directory
This can happen when the user who ran the Jira cannot delete the lock file

Calderara Serge July 17, 2019

I try the command you mention and return what is below :

jira 14730 1 0 08:23 ? 00:00:20 /opt/atlassian/jira/jre//bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/atlassian/jira/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Xms384m -Xmx10500m -XX:InitialCodeCacheSize=32m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m -Djav .awt.headless=true -Datlassian.standalone=JIRA -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Dorg.dom4j.factory=com.atlassian.core.xml.InterningDocumentFactory -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT -Datlassian.plugins.startup.options= -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048 -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027 -Xloggc:/opt/atlassian/jira/logs/atlassian-jira-gc-%t.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=20M -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCCause -Dignore.endorsed.dirs= -classpath /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/atlassian/jira -Dcatalina.home=/opt/atlassian/jira -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/atlassian/jira/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root 16925 15255 0 08:59 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto java

Do you see something special ?

When I run Top command I have only one Java process but use only 4mb ram and 0 % cpu . Should be much more when fully started correctly

Fortunatly we get our other node running version 7.13 while we try to upgrade this node

Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2019

You have only one Java process running, it is ok.
Check the rights to the Jira-inst directory

Ls -la jira-inst

The rights must belong to the user from which you are trying to start the process.

When I try I have Ls command not found

what is jira-inst ? a command or I should replace it by my own install ?

Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
July 17, 2019

jira-inst it is jira installation directory

There are Jira executable files, access to which is important for the correct operation of the service.

Read more about the rights here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-fix-jira-directories-permission-in-linux-829048437.html

We made one test as below in order to segragate our testing juts to explain in more clear step.

Our current cluster node runs version 7.13
We test upgrade to version 8.1.2 by using Zero down time procedure and place Jira in Update Mode

We first upgrade only the atlassian-jira to 8.1.2 folder without the tomcat update

We found in logs the following entry :

2019-07-17 09:54:56,384 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Your node with Jira version 8.1.2 will not start up with version 7.13.0 because Jira does not support zero downtime upgrades between major releases. See https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-080/Upgrading+Jira+applications.

Does this means that Zero down time can not be use when upgrading from 7.13 to 8.1.2 ?

Thanks for advise

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2019

Hi @Calderara Serge , 

do you have more information from the logs ? The lines before the FATAL that you copied here should be interesting.

Thanks,

--Alexis

Dear alexis, 

here is below the whole logs emntry we have. We ares strungling 3 full days on this and have no idea what is wrong . We follow the procedure by :

- placing Jira in update mode
- Check plug in compatibility and desable uncomptible one and update others
- We rename our previous run jira folder ( v 7.13)
- We copy the nee one (v 8.1.2) including provided TomCat
- We add to conf files our previous settings

After trying to start jira using sh start-jira.sh command it run a process jav that I can see on list of process but stuck to 0% cpu usage and 4mb ram while normal should raise up

Fortunately our other instance node is still running with other version 7.13

You can find the log entry to teh link below :

Log entry

Thanks for your help on this

regards

Suggest an answer