JIRA MySQL Connection Error: null, message from server: "Host 'myserver.domain.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

NickW May 29, 2012

Hi All

So I am now starting the JIRA/MySQL installation and setup.

I have reached the point of Running the JIRA setup. When I test the connection I get the following message:

null, message from server: "Host 'myserver.domain.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

MySQL and JIRA are on the same PC.

I have created a jiradbuser and granted all permissions (using Navicat)

I have created the jiradb which is visible in Navicat (although at this stage has no tables)

All help gratefully received

Nick

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

From: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/access-denied.html

{quote}

• If the following error occurs when you try to connect from a host other than the one on which the MySQL server is running, it means that there is no row in the user table with a Host value that matches the client host:

Host ... is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

You can fix this by setting up an account for the combination of client host name and user name that you are using when trying to connect.

If you do not know the IP address or host name of the machine from which you are connecting, you should put a row with '%' as the Host column value in the user table. After trying to connect from the client machine, use a SELECT USER() query to see how you really did connect. Then change the '%' in the user table row to the actual host name that shows up in the log. Otherwise, your system is left insecure because it permits connections from any host for the given user name.

On Linux, another reason that this error might occur is that you are using a binary MySQL version that is compiled with a different version of the glibc library than the one you are using. In this case, you should either upgrade your operating system or glibc, or download a source distribution of MySQL version and compile it yourself. A source RPM is normally trivial to compile and install, so this is not a big problem.

{quote}

NickW May 29, 2012

Thanks Radu

Blindingly obvious when you know what the answer is!!! There was a simple miss-match between the user host setting and the one I was trying i.e. localhost vs. myservername

Suggest an answer