JIRA Cloud login from external system

Javier Ruiz March 8, 2018

We are an IT org attempting to connect our vulnerability management software, insightVM from Rapid7, to our JIRA Cloud instance. This will allow issues to be automatically created in a designated project whenever a vulnerability is detected.

They have provided us with an integration guide, that appears to be made for connection to JIRA Server. The only information the integration asks for is our JIRA Cloud URL, a username, and password. Whenever I input this information it almost instantly fails saying it "cannot connect, check username/password". I've tried every possible combination that comes to mind.

My question is, how can an external system login to our JIRA cloud instance that is using Atlassian ID for login?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Soane
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2018

Hi Javier,

The integration article really seems to be related to Jira server only. I'm not sure if insightVM can be integrated with Jira Cloud since it's a third-party tool. The best to do in this case is to reach their support to confirm.

In case it applies to Cloud, you can use the email address and it's Atlassian account password to try to connect. In the following link you can reset the Atlassian account password if you need:

* https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword

You can also generate an API token at https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens

You can see more about API tokens here: API tokens

Cheers,
Soane

Javier Ruiz March 15, 2018

Hi Soane,

Thanks for the response and looking over the integration guide, I will likely reach out to them and see if they have any advice. Also, I didn't know about the API tokens, that could be useful in the future.

Thank you!

-Javier

0 votes
ZongGuo Wei August 30, 2018

I got an answer from Rapid7 support that the integration may not work in- product at this time with Cloud JIRA.

Tod Martinsen January 3, 2019

Any update on this functionality?  Still not working for me as of 1/3/2019.

Daniel Robert May 28, 2019

I can confirm that generating an API Token and using that in the 'password' field presented by Rapid7 works for me using Jira Cloud.

Like # people like this
Robert Remillard April 16, 2020

What is the URL you used? companyname.atlassian.net or something else?  can't seem to get this to even connect.  Thank you

Robert Remillard April 29, 2020

Rapid7 InsightVM and Jira Software Cloud is working now.  Ticket is created within a Project amed Rapid7 remediation in Jira Software Cloud.  

I am having issues integrating InsightVM with Jira ServiceDesk Cloud. 

If I create a Project in Jira it works, if I try ServiceDesk, does not.

Paula Ramos June 22, 2020

What is the format of the link you used?

Robert Remillard June 22, 2020

https://companyname.atlassian.net  

I created an R7 Remediation Project in Jira and the team is fine with it not working in Jira Service Desk.  

0 votes
ZongGuo Wei August 20, 2018

I had the same issue. I already generated the API token, but it sill didn't work. I open a case with Rapid7 support, but no response from them.

Suggest an answer