JIRA Announcement Banner

bipin23 July 14, 2020

Hi All 

We have recently introduced JIRA Announcement Banner on JIRA 7.6 to display any kind of platform outage in our Production instance. Java script has been used on the backend. The banner starts reflecting when someone turns jira-data.js file, which is the main config file. 

When a user refreshes their browser, mainly IE and chrome, the banner no longer exists even it is currently turned on. The annoying part about that is, the user has to clear the cache and cookies every time in order to see the banner again and again. We are not sure about what is the exact issue. Please let me know if anyone had faced similar issues in the past. Thanks 

2 answers

0 votes
bipin23 August 18, 2020

Thanks for the reply @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ .We recently upgraded to JIRA 8.5 and we are going to implement the announcement banner in a similar fashion. I will update here once implemented.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hi @bipin23 

Check the browser console for any JavaScript error to get an idea of what could be the problem. Is this a problem only in IE and Chrome?

If I understand correctly you have announcement banner with embedded code referring to jira-data.js which is stored on the server? which is either present on the server or not? I think browser is not able to load JavaScript at all. May be try embedding the whole code in the announcement banner.

I would rather avoid using JavaScript in the announcement banner and look for other ways to notify users. 

Ravi

Suggest an answer