It it possible to have an empty edit screen to disallow editing of the issue?

Shirley He June 26, 2018

I just want to confirm if this is possible. When I tried it out, Jira got stuck loading for a quite a while. I only want to disallow editing of this single issue type. The other issue type in the project should be editable. I've searched for how to restrict editing to only one issue type but it seems to be a feature Atlassian has chosen not to implement. Any advice?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

There are a couple of options.

You have already tried the first one, but it does not seem to be working for you.  Not sure why, I would expect a screen with just "comment" appearing, if the users have comment permissions, or just the ok and cancel buttons of they do not.  This is not the ideal way for the user to see this though - the box will be counter-intuitive, clicking edit for just a comment or an empty ok/cancel box.

The other option is to have two separate workflows, one for each issue type.  In the workflow for the issue type you want to block editing, you can use "workflow properties" to remove the edit rights that the permission schemes grant.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/workflow-properties-802592825.html

But the short version is that if you add jira.issue.editable as the property and false as the value on a status, then the issue cannot be edited by anyone when it is in that state.

Shirley He June 26, 2018

This was a quick and easy solution! Thanks Nic!

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

@Shirley HeSimple trick,   Use "Issue Type" in the View and Create screens, but not Edit in your Screen Scheme  for this particular Issue Type.

best!

Shirley He June 26, 2018

I don't think this will work. The edit operation will then use the screen set for the default operation instead.

Assigning an empty screen to the edit operation seems to make Jira stay stuck on a loading screen.

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

@Shirley HeIt will  work,  i have already  tried  it , suppose  all  your issue types are using one  scheme  default  for instance,  and in the scheme you have screen lets say default screen ( Edit, View and Create  operation are using,   make a copy of  default screen  or create a  new one and use it for edit screen  by associating Edit operation  with this  screen  and in the screen remove issue-type.  it will  definitely  work.!

For me its the best way to do this no stress!

Best!

0 votes
Prakhar Srivastav {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2018

@Shirley He

Yes. The permission scheme in jira are not based on issue type.

Have you looked into setting Issue Level Security ?

Regards

Prakhar

Shirley He June 26, 2018

I looked into Issue Level Security and it seems it only controls who can see the issue, but not who can edit it. I want the users to be able to see all the issue types in the project, but I don't want them to be able to edit a single, specific issue type.

Suggest an answer