Issue with Original Estimate

GL Communications March 26, 2024

Hi,

I've encountered an issue with the workload pie chart in Jira. Although I've set an original estimate for a main task and separate estimates for each of its sub-tasks, the pie chart inaccurately combines the estimates of both the main task and its sub-tasks. Ideally, the chart should only reflect the total of the sub-tasks' estimates, as they collectively fulfill the main task's requirements. Do you have any advice on how to correct this?

Certainly, we could allocate the estimates exclusively to the sub-tasks. However, the challenge arises during the planning phase, where we initially estimate only the main task, and the sub-tasks, which require their own estimates, are added subsequently.

Please let me know if I have any work-around.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2024

Hi @GL Communications 

IMO you can use automation to sum estimates from subtasks and put it in parent task.

Here (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/9919294) you have an example how to sum story points based on epic and stories inside epic but based on that I'm sure that you will be able to do the same with task and subtasks and estimates.

Regards,

Seba

GL Communications March 26, 2024

Thank you very much for your reply. I will explore automation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events