Issue Estimate field

Calderara Serge July 23, 2019

Dear all,

I am a bit confuse on the Estimate field on jira issue.
I have seen where in the field you can enter :

• 1d = 1 day
  • 1w = 1 week
  • 1m= 1 month

In some other situation I have seen the field where you can enter only number ( story points)

Actually my customer never well estimate an issue so we have set up a custom field where he can enter S (small), B (big), L( very long) instead of using native Estimate

Now my questions are as below :

In order to get a good clear view about the issues, especially in a sprint ( are we on target or not ), what is the proper way to configure the estimate field ?  Should we better use story point or not , how good correlation is bases on estimate type field

regards

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hi @Calderara Serge 

Typically, the way teams use story points and hours is like this :

• Each parent issue (Task, Story, Feature, Bug etc.) will be estimated in story points.
  • Each of these parents will be broken down into sub-tasks, and the sub-tasks will be estimated in hours (or days, weeks) which cumulatively add and show on the parent.

An alternative is to not use story points, but still use a time estimate on sub-tasks. If a parent doesn't have any sub-tasks, then a time estimate is added directly to the parent.

There are probably other ways as well, you need to find out what works best for you.

If your customer only works in S, M, L, you could come up with a meaning for them e.g.

S = 3 story points

M = 5 story points

L = 8 story points

XL = 13 story points

or even

S = 2 hours

M = half day

L = 1 day

Calderara Serge July 23, 2019

Thanks for your reply.

The key point is that I need to define good practice rule in order to define estimation in order that in dashboard, or using gant Chart, the claculation is working correclty.

For instance if  customer is usin S, M L and in order to map it to 2, 5, 10 story point, what is teh proper way to populate automatically the default native field accordingly in order that it is still correct for calculation on chart ?

Thanks for help

regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events