Issue Collector Errors

Anthony De La Rosa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2018

Hello

Sorry to bother you but I have a funny bug on our JIRA 7.5.2 server. Created a few custom fields and have them required in some projects. They only show up in the necessary projects like they are suppose to but a TEST Project which was setup with Issue Collector errors out saying that basically mandatory fields were not filled out in the Issue Collector form. This issue Collector should have no recognition of those required fields since it's a different project and also those fields (due date, description and another one) are only visible in another project. 

Sure enough when I remove the "required" option in the field configurations the form goes through fine. Surely this is a bug, so how can I fix that so that the Issue Collector only looks at the fields specified in the issue collector form. Does that make sense?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

There is a different kind of scheme that determines field configurations than there is from those that determine what appears on the screen configuration.

So while you might have only setup specific screens to show that field at all, if both projects are sharing the same field configuration, when you make a field required in that field configuration scheme that field is then required across all projects using that field configuration scheme.  Even if those fields don't appear on any of the screens of that project.

I understand it seems like madness that Jira would let you set a field to be mandatory, and then also allow you to completely hide that field from all the screens in question, but you can do that with Jira.  It is actually something that can be useful is very specific use case scenarios, but that many Jira admins trip over this idea when configuring a project.

I am a big fan of this page (and the diagram on it):  Project screens, schemes, and fields - Atlassian Documentation.  This is helpful to understand how each of these schemes work in Jira.

In your case, I think that the best solution here is to create a new Field configuration scheme (you can copy the existing one and then edit that copy), set this field configuration scheme up to be the one that requires that specific field, and then associate that specific field configuration scheme only with that one project where that field is required.  This way the other projects can still have to field if need be, but it won't be required because the other projects are using a different field configuration scheme.

Suggest an answer