Is there a way to show the date rather than "yesterday"

Tom Bridges July 23, 2019

In the dates section of the Jira issues, we would rather show the proper date, rather than "Yesterday".

Is there an option in Jira to do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Hey everyone,

It seems the problem here is just the usage of a wrong filename. The file that should be created in JIRA_Home is jira-config.properties, not jira-application.properties.

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2019

Hi @Andy Nguyen,

I totally missed it, thanks for looking into this!

Like Andy Nguyen likes this
0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Hey Tom,

I've opened a case in our support system to move forward on this. I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you're seeing with disabling relative dates in 8.2.4, or 8.2.3, or 8.2.2, or 8.3.0. Taking a look at the issue you linked in jira.atlassian.com, the folks making comments most recently are on instances where they don't have access to the filesystem to make changes to jira-application.properties.

Based on not being able to reproduce it, we'd like to get some information from your instance via a support zip. Be on the lookout for an email from our support system with more information about this.

Thanks,
Daniel Eads | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

Hi @Tom Bridges,

Sure, you can follow this documentation for Jira Server to get absolute dates instead: Disable relative dates in JIRA applications.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Hi,

That work around does not work.

If you follow the JRASERVER issue mentioned in the "problem" section, you'll find comments back to Jan 2019 stating this does not work anymore.

FYI, I am running Jira Server 8.2.4.

Thanks,

Tom

FYI,

I had to create the file jira-application.properties in c:\program files\atlassian\application data\jira\ with the following line:

jira.lf.date.relativize = false

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2019

Glad you worked it out!

The article does work, but indeed you may have to create the jira-application.properties file if it does not exist yet. Thanks for your feedback.

In addition to your reply, you need to create the jira-application.properties file at the root of your Jira application home directory (see here where to find it).

No. I clearly stated that this DOES NOT work.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2019

Hi @Tom Bridges , 

does the workaround "add jira.lf.date.relativize = false" to jira-application.properties not work for you on Jira 8.2.4 ? 

I am not sure if you're saying that you managed to fix your initial problem or not.

Thanks, 

--Alexis

Yes. I am saying the work around does not work.

I stopped Jira, created the file jira-application.properties in c:\program files\atlassian\application data\jira\ with the line jira.lf.date.relativize = false and restarted Jira.

There is no difference in the functionality.. "Yesterday" is still shown.

Suggest an answer