Is there a way to disable inline links (Bug report SmartLinks applying to all links?)

Bill_P April 23, 2021

Is there a way to disable inline links, they are really unuser friendly.

Reasons:

1. I want to see what this link actually goes not not just the icon and title, if I did not want that then I would add different text.

2. Holding CTRL on a link and clicking does not behave link a normal weblink it should open in a new tab or window not over jira. (I personally never want to leave jira when I click external links)

VOTE HERE for a fix:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

31 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill_P October 28, 2022

Its here on the user setting.

YourUserProfile > Profile > Preferences > External links.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-9380 

linksetting.PNG

65 votes
Ero Gray May 5, 2021

Following. We're running several helpdesks for websites, where referring clearly to exact URLs is a fundamental part of our support process. Hiding link destinations is never, ever, ever going to be what we want to do by default and it's causing my coworkers to cuss at the screen a lot.

Leah June 19, 2021

EXACTLY!

Like # people like this
Chris Pagel June 27, 2021

has this been solved. would love to have a way to see the actual url all the time?

Maarten Kuiper July 12, 2021

This has not been solved. But if you'd like for it to be solved, upvote this issue in the Jira issue tracker:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

Like # people like this
martinmichaelfrederiksen November 5, 2021

It is the most shitty feature ever invented.

Like # people like this
Like Michael Junge likes this
Kimmo March 17, 2022

@StingyJackI really want to click the like button on that comment but I just can't. I find it absurd that we need to apply userscripts to be able to properly input plaintext URLs in text fields in a SaaS product that we pay through the nose for. These kind of "features" have no right to exist.

26 votes
Sam Lehman April 27, 2021

I too find this 'feature' very annoying for external links.

Kevin Cassidy May 25, 2021

agreed. If you're going to introduce a 'feature' have the ability to disable it or at least not make it a default

Like # people like this
Zaheer June 12, 2021

This is so annoying and time wasting. Imagine you paste 10+ URLs in a comment the browser stops responding as each URL is being processed and then having to go through that 2-click process on each link to convert it to a plain URL.

Such wishful features must be turned-off by default and only enabled by users who have some real use case for them.

Its a pity to rollout such features without having "disable" option in place first.

We expect better things from Atlassian NOT worst.

Like # people like this
16 votes
Denise Spangler June 17, 2021

1. Yes I think we'd all be so happy if the default could be 'Display URL' instead of 'Display inline' as there hasn't been a single time when I've actually used the inline version. All work we ever do involves being able to see what the actual URLs are. 

8 votes
Rui Duan June 20, 2021

Same issue here. I would recommend to make the "Display Url" as default and "Display Inline" as an option.

6 votes
Brian Jackson December 1, 2021

They added this in Trello and Confluence now with no options to disable them. I'm fine if someone prefers it on, but at least give us an option to turn these off. There is not one single instance where I want this, and it breaks so many of my workflows. 

I'm actually looking at migrating away from Trello and Confluence for this reason alone. It's been a great 8 years. But you obviously don't use your own product anymore. Time to move on.

6 votes
Richard Blakeley October 13, 2021

I have to change nearly every single URL I put into Jira, it's driving me insane. 

6 votes
Max June 22, 2021

Another issue with this feature is that apparently after manually selecting "Display as URL" there're two objects: url link and url text.

And if I, say, copy this link and manually edit it then only url text is edited while the link itself stays the same. And that's a terrible behaviour.

To illustrate, I have "https://website.com" link, it displays inline. I change this to "display as URL" and manually edit it to, say, "https://chat.website.com". But it only changes url text, url link is still "https://website.com".

Anyway I think the best option here is to allow users to change default link behaviour in Settings,

Kimmo June 22, 2021

Oh, I hadn't noticed this one. This is really bad as it makes it very easy for people to fall victim to phishing attacks. Yes, I know JIRA is supposed to be used by trusted users only but you can never be sure.

This needs to be fixed.

Like StingyJack likes this
4 votes
Mikael Levoniemi September 7, 2021

bump! wtf is this? Why is this even a thing? URLS for default always please, ambiguity serves nobody.

3 votes
Leah June 19, 2021

That automatic "pretty link" feature (since March 2021) is the ONLY reason I'm here.  It is very annoying and not pretty at all.  Just confusing and a waste of time nobody has to blow.  Many, if not most people will find something else to use.

I'm sure there are several thousand irritated users who don't have time to search for or deal with this unwanted feature that would like to see the full URL rather than the so-called prettified option.

Something that gives users a CHOICE  is better   switch-off.png

emoticon-sad.pngDo you want to keep your subscribers or not??

2 votes
Mark Stralka December 20, 2021

I received the JIRA "Software December Recap" newsletter email today. In the email was a link to this announcement, which includes the name of one of the JIRA Cloud Product Managers.

I politely messaged him on LinkedIn to try to get his attention to this frustrating "feature". 

If you're frustrated with this feature, you may want to try messaging him also.

Brian Jackson December 20, 2021

Hey Mark, 
Yes, I've emailed many product managers. 

I even tagged the Atlassian CEO and he replied. So he is aware of this issue but doesn't seem to understand why it's a problem. 🤦 https://twitter.com/scottfarkas/status/1466134135563378690

I encourage everyone to also vote on this issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

I'm actually thinking about writing up a blog post about this. I have a few places where I have a decent reach/audience. I have huge respect for developers, and don't like taking things public. But this feature is by far one of the worst I've ever seen implemented. 

It's a tech software product and you can't even copy/paste URLs in and out of the software easily anymore. Just think about that for a second. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Thomas Gerard October 15, 2021

Please could you work on this, this is so time consuming.

2 votes
Marieke van Oostende September 15, 2021

This "feature" makes my life as ticket-creating PO much harder than it should be.

We have a very extensive application and providing links to specific locations is very important. Now we get "Log in" for every link. 

Please make this a configurable feature! 

2 votes
jaan September 3, 2021

Same. Extremely annoying and directly damaging to our workflows. Hard to understand why something like this was even shipped on a product for Development, where URLs are extremely important. 

2 votes
Adrian Esquivel September 2, 2021

This is the most annoying feature I've come across in all the apps I use. Can you please default to the FLL URL

2 votes
Lana White August 24, 2021

+5 from myself and my development team. This is extremely frustrating and should never have been introduced to non jira related links in the first place.

Please get this sorted ASAP!!!

1 vote
tan.khuu August 10, 2021

It's really annoying feature, I don't understand why there's no action to remove of change the default of it up until now

1 vote
Alain Pelletier July 30, 2021

+1 This very annoying feature is creating more issues than it solves. 

The "Display URL" adds http:// to UNC PATHS and scraps all the rest of the path after the domain. 

1 vote
Magnus July 13, 2021

This has annoyed me for quite some time now. Hopefully sorted soon.

0 votes
Josh Feinstein February 4, 2022

I have no idea who thought defaulting links o inline display was a good idea. It gets in my team's way every single day. We have a Dev, Test, and Live environments, not to mention temp environments and all 4 have the same <title> tag. Which link is being shared? It's impossible to tell without clicking 3 times to change it to display url.

I can't think of a single use-case for display inline. It helps no one.

Who could possibly want ambiguous links in software designed for engineering teams? 

FIX THIS PLEASE.

0 votes
Bas Mensink January 5, 2022

Incredible for a company like Atlassian to introduce this feature without the option to disable it. How hard can it be to make it optional? So many users being annoyed by this.

0 votes
Bill_P December 14, 2021

OK after having this up for nearly 8 months of continuous frustration, here is how to stop this Terrible feature on sites you control:

Setup your WAF on your servers to Block all traffic that contains:

User Agent contains Iframely

Magnus December 14, 2021

Thanks, I will talk to my Ops guys.

Brian Jackson December 14, 2021

Hey Bill, 
Appreciate you sharing this. However, it would be nice if you don't mark the answer as accepted yet. The reason is that many small businesses, remote workers, etc. struggle with this issue and don't have a WAF. 

We just don't want Atlassian thinking this issue is in any way resolved. Thanks!

Like # people like this
Mikael Levoniemi December 14, 2021

Indeed thanks bill, but don't destroy this ticket because the underlying issue is not resolved. Thanks!

Like Bill_P likes this
Bill_P December 14, 2021

It is a terrible work around, Not one I wanted to resort to.

It has very limited use, as you have to be able to block traffic by the Agent and haft the other product links I add I have no such control. 

But its better then nothing, and so far that's what I have been seen for action on this ticket.

Alex Traber December 14, 2021

Hey, 

thanks Bill for the workaround. This is not possible to do on the cloud version, correct?

Bill_P December 15, 2021

@Alex Traber  You have to block it on the end point so on your servers. We use Atlassian cloud but with a block on that user agent it no longer gives the useless links. 

Issac Osis January 27, 2022

This "iframely" product is likely witness to many secret unreleased URLs now without any consent from Atlassian cloud users

Like # people like this
Mike Preisinger January 28, 2022

@Issac Osis ,

That's a very good point. 

Not to mention URLs shared among development teams, who are assuming some degree of privacy, could have access tokens or other sensitive information embedded in them.  (I know that's not best-practice, but we all know it happens sometimes.) 

The fact that these URLs are being sent to a third-party service to be resolved behind-the-scenes (assuming that's how it's implemented) is a potential security issue.  This is yet another reason this should be an optional feature that is defaulted to "off".  

Like # people like this
Martijn Verhoeven February 1, 2022

This is not the accepted answer. 

Like # people like this
Bill_P February 1, 2022

Agreed, this is a terrible answer, but its the only thing I have found to help since I not seen any movement on this ticket.

Pieter Wyffels February 2, 2022

+1 . This is no solution at all, do not mark it as the accepted answer please.

kmadsen February 2, 2022

Just go here guys - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429 - vote and comment on this.

0 votes
Bastian Walger November 16, 2021

any update on this case? it is driving our team mad... 

0 votes
Rui Duan August 16, 2021

For whoever got annoyed with this feature, you can press Ctrl + Z or Cmd + Z (on MacOS) after the link has been masked to change it back to original link.

Christoph Lechleitner December 31, 2021

Thanks for this hint!

Another approach that I plan to train my fingers to do is Ctrl-K Ctrl-V Tab Ctrl-V Enter.

This creates a link with the URL as link target and explicit link text and seems to be inserted without any automatism hitting lateron.

If the URL is not yet in the clipboard it's of course Ctrl-K www.... Ctrl-A Ctrl-C Tab Ctrl-V Enter

0 votes
David Sengmany August 2, 2021

My work around is if you paste the URL or group of URLs in and save it right away before it has a chance to even think about converting to a smart link, it will keep it in the URL format that you paste in. You have to be quick though! 

0 votes
Evan Cooper July 15, 2021

+1 - please let us set a default, 99% of the time I am setting these back to inline. 

Suggest an answer