Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a way to disable inline links (Bug report SmartLinks applying to all links?) Edited

Is there a way to disable inline links, they are really unuser friendly.

Reasons:

1. I want to see what this link actually goes not not just the icon and title, if I did not want that then I would add different text.

2. Holding CTRL on a link and clicking does not behave link a normal weblink it should open in a new tab or window not over jira. (I personally never want to leave jira when I click external links)

7 answers

Following. We're running several helpdesks for websites, where referring clearly to exact URLs is a fundamental part of our support process. Hiding link destinations is never, ever, ever going to be what we want to do by default and it's causing my coworkers to cuss at the screen a lot.

Like seaghan moriarty likes this

I too find this 'feature' very annoying for external links.

agreed. If you're going to introduce a 'feature' have the ability to disable it or at least not make it a default

Like # people like this

This is so annoying and time wasting. Imagine you paste 10+ URLs in a comment the browser stops responding as each URL is being processed and then having to go through that 2-click process on each link to convert it to a plain URL.

Such wishful features must be turned-off by default and only enabled by users who have some real use case for them.

Its a pity to rollout such features without having "disable" option in place first.

We expect better things from Atlassian NOT worst.

Like Kathleen Leah likes this
2 votes

1. Yes I think we'd all be so happy if the default could be 'Display URL' instead of 'Display inline' as there hasn't been a single time when I've actually used the inline version. All work we ever do involves being able to see what the actual URLs are. 

0 votes
Andrew Kendris Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

Hello @Bill_P  - I might need a bit more context behind where you are putting these inline links but I'm guessing you are referring to URLs you put into comments.  It's possible to change the how the links are shown by clicking on the link in the edit window and using the "Display URL" format rather than "Display inline" option.  

I hope this helps and please let me know if we need to dig deeper to get your question answered.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 6.57.14 PM.png

Mostly they are links to our SAAS product or references to related documentation to help support resolving the Jira tickets.

Yes, this is true that I can go to everything link that i come across and fix them as I go which is what I am doing now. Its a pain.

Why was this "feature" introduced how do it help anyone? What problem is it solving?

It seems the only problem it solves is making external links "prettier", but hard to use.

I do understand why you have it for internal Jira links as it adds the status which is useful but external links?

Like # people like this

Is there a way to set a standard to "Display URL" for non-Atlassian URLs?

For our team's specific needs, URLs being visible are critical for the testing and migration team. We need to be able to see the specific site we are pulling from. Just today, I had to take an extra 2 minutes to update all the URLs that were not displayed and click display URL on the ticket. 

Based on security within our sites, no information is brought back. Just the company logo and the "Portal Sign On". Often times these links have to be copied and pasted into separate tickets for other reasons.

I have no doubt this is an enhancement for some clients, but I'd love the ability to override the default of "Display inline" with "Display URL".

Like # people like this
Andrew Kendris Community Leader Apr 26, 2021

Hello @Bill_P and @Embher Chaffin - after doing some digging it appears it's not possible to turn off this feature yet.  I have found an open support ticket for your awareness and tracking:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429?attachmentViewMode=gallery

I hope this gives a bit more clarity into the current state of Smart Link behavior for you.

This seems like it started more recently then that ticket (06/Jul/2019 ), I wonder if it is a newer bug introduced? 

@Andrew Kendris Did you have any luck finding out:

1. Why was this "feature" introduced for unknown external links?

2. What problem is it solving?

Like # people like this
Ed Gass I'm New Here May 05, 2021

Agreed, I need to see the the URL in full and it is a pain to have to click into the comment and always have to change the link to Display URL. This is a fairly recent thing with Display Inline being the norm.

Please give us the option in out settings to choose how links are always displaying.

Like # people like this

Agree - this is a very frustrating feature. It's a pain to have to go and change every individual URL. Please fix this asap, it's not helping your users.

Like # people like this

Yes. We also discuss a lot about domains in Jira which makes the problem a lot worse:

1. I write a domain (e.g. www.example.com)
  2. Jira converts the domain into a link automatically (not really needed but fine, what ever)
  3. This new feature "prettifies" the link into an unrecognizable blob
  4. I click the blob and select "Disply URL"
  5. I get a URL, not a domain

So, Jira does not allow me to express the thing I want. I think the only way to work around this is by marking all domains as code but that's just stupid.

Please, do something about this!

Like # people like this
Andrew Kendris Community Leader May 19, 2021

Hello @Bill_P 

I couldn't locate why this feature is introduced for unknown external links.  I've done some digging in the community and may have found two useful articles that provide more context on Smart Links: 

Smart Links, a richer way to hyperlink (June 30, 2020) 

Loads of awesome new Smart Links now available in Confluence, Jira, and Trello (March 4, 2021) 

There are some comments in the June 30, 2020 thread that offer workarounds which may be helpful to you and other users.

Disabling this behavior for unknown external links is the right thing to do but there has to be a way to turn this feature off completely. Not only does this feature make authoring content in Jira a lot harder, it also hides the URLs making the user more susceptible to link manipulation and phishing attacks.

Also, using clipboard to copy content with links set to use the default "Display Inline" mode does not work. The links get dropped in the process. This feature is bad and it really frustrates our entire company.

Like # people like this

Fully Agreed, not only frustrating but also a phishing security risk.

@Andrew Kendris If there is no reference to making all links into "Smartlinks" and in consideration of Phishing Security issues.

Does this not make this a bug?

It seems like it should only affect known URLs on the "List" (at least for the security concern)?

The List based on (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Smart-Links-a-richer-way-to-hyperlink/ba-p/1412786 and https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Loads-of-awesome-new-Smart-Links-now-available-in-Confluence/ba-p/1621121):

Adobe XD
Amazon Docs
Asana
Bitbucket
Box
Calendly
Confluence
Dropbox
Facebook
Figma
Github
Gitlab
Google Drive
Instagram
Invision
Jira
Jira Roadmaps
LinkedIn
Loom
Medium
Microsoft OneDrive
Miro
Overflow
Spotify
Twitter
Wikipedia
YouTube
Zeplin
Zillow

and more! <- what is this list? and how do I we get removed from it?

Andrew Kendris Community Leader May 28, 2021

@Bill_P - I see your point and would also raise it as a phishing risk because, by default, users can't see URL.

@Andrew Kendris Any update on this? 

I wonder if Jonathan Katahanas would be able to help answer:

1. Why was this "feature" introduced for unknown external links?

2. What problem is it solving?

Like # people like this

Posting an extra comment here to add my voice to the users who would like to see the full URL rather than the prettified option.

Like # people like this

That automatic "pretty link" feature (since March 2021) is the ONLY reason I'm here.  It is very annoying and not pretty at all.  Just confusing and a waste of time nobody has to blow.  Many, if not most people will find something else to use.

I'm sure there are several thousand irritated users who don't have time to search for or deal with this unwanted feature that would like to see the full URL rather than the so-called prettified option.

Something that gives users a CHOICE  is better   switch-off.png

emoticon-sad.pngDo you want to keep your subscribers or not??

0 votes
Rui Duan I'm New Here Jun 20, 2021

Same issue here. I would recommend to make the "Display Url" as default and "Display Inline" as an option.

Another issue with this feature is that apparently after manually selecting "Display as URL" there're two objects: url link and url text.

And if I, say, copy this link and manually edit it then only url text is edited while the link itself stays the same. And that's a terrible behaviour.

To illustrate, I have "https://website.com" link, it displays inline. I change this to "display as URL" and manually edit it to, say, "https://chat.website.com". But it only changes url text, url link is still "https://website.com".

Anyway I think the best option here is to allow users to change default link behaviour in Settings,

Oh, I hadn't noticed this one. This is really bad as it makes it very easy for people to fall victim to phishing attacks. Yes, I know JIRA is supposed to be used by trusted users only but you can never be sure.

This needs to be fixed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June ask me anything (AMA)

Hello Community members! We’re wrapping up the end of JSM June with an Ask Me Anything (AMA) with the Jira Service Management product team. This is your chance to ask all your ITSM questions to o...

150 views 9 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you