Is there a limit to how many items are in a Jira drop down menu.

james Hurley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 20, 2020

Is there a limit to how many items are in a Jira drop down menu. We need to add items to a Jira drop down menu in Create Issue screen. Before I send a request into our Jira admin that I want to have 250 items in it and he thinks I'm an idiot I wanted to see if there is a limit and if there is what it is?

Thank you!!! Jim

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

There is a limit technically, but it's so large, you'll never get anywhere close to it.  If you try, then page rendering will get slower and slower until the create/edit screens become useless to the end-user, but to get a measurable slow-down, you are looking at thousands, if not tens of thousands, of entries in the drop-down.

However, your Jira admin is not entirely wrong - you're not an idiot, he's wrong there, but it is rightly his job to question the addition of a drop-down with 250 options. 

Your people will struggle to locate the value they want, and the way humans work when presented with more than 20-30 options is to pick the same one they are familiar with, or click a random one. 

If they're doing the former, then you should be looking to automate the field so they never have to use it (For example, Dave works for team Rainbow, but only ever enters Violet in the colour field - so set it for him).  If they're doing the latter, then you've got too many options and you need to simplify it.  Consider using a different type of field (cascading selects are quite handy - they allow you to group options together - maybe Dave could select "Team Rainbow" from the first and then be offered only ROYGBIV as the seven secondary options).  250 options is something I would question in most custom fields.  Perfectly valid in a version, especially if you're doing ci/cd, but you can archive versions to keep the list short.  But I don't know your use-case, so I can't say that you're wrong, just that your Admin is right to question it.

Anilkumar B July 17, 2020

Hi Nic,

Regarding the versions in CI/CD area, is that not Atlassian loads the create/edit screen with top 20 and not will all the values(no matter how many they are since they are valid in CI/CD areas) to load the screen faster?

Because we have a project 1050 versions and slowing down the screen to load. 
We have another project with the same configuration but with a few versions around 50 is loading fast with create/edit screen.

My doubt is here, will the screen load only 20 or all the versions.

Suggest an answer