Is the custom field days since last comment updated automatically?

Arensa Prasta April 17, 2024

Are the custom field days since the last comment updated automatically or do I need to create an automation for it?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Hello @Arensa Prasta 

There is not a built-in custom field called Days Since Last Comment. I suspect that is unique to your instance or has been provided as part of a third party app.

Do you see the field listed in the Custom Fields page?

https://<yourBaseUrl>/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa

Hi @Trudy Claspill thank you for replying!
I indeed see this field listed in the Custom Fields page. please see the attached imageScreenshot_48.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Well, I learned something new today! Thank you!

The values for fields of that type appear to be calculated dynamically, on demand.

Like Arensa Prasta likes this

Well, I added this one yesterday, but I don't see it being calculated dynamically. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Can you provide an example of what you are seeing?

I created a custom field of that type and added it to the screens for a Company Managed project. The field does not display in the issue view, but you can add it to the column output in the View All Issues screen.

Each time you refresh the filter in the View All Issues screen, the field should be recalculated for the issues in the filter.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 8.51.12 AM.png

Like Arensa Prasta likes this
Arensa Prasta April 18, 2024

Oh, so this custom field, really is doing things in secret :D 
I was expecting to see it in the issue view form. 
Thank you @Trudy Claspillreally appreciate your help!

Arensa Prasta April 18, 2024

@Trudy Claspill
I added the field as below but still no change for me. All issues here do have comments. (also just created one for the first row)
Screenshot_49.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2024

Hm, I am not able to recreate this in a way that the column remains blank.

I've tried issues in all types of projects (Company/Team, Work Management/Software/Service), with and without comments, and all show a value in that field.

I notice that you "Days since last comment" header shows an ability to sort. Mine does not. And the custom field type specifically says that the field is not searchable or sortable.

Did you make your "Days since last comment" custom field using the "Days since last comment" field type? Can you show the custom field definition on the Custom Fields screen?

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.36.21 PM.png

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 22, 2024

Hi @Arensa Prasta

just in case you're not getting this to run: If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, the time since last comment would also be available in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a long list of so-called smart columns that aren’t natively available, including the time since last comment, along with many other comment-related columns.

This is how it looks in action:

time-since-last-comment.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by the time since last comment, and also use it across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

This all just works - there's no scripting or automation whatsoever required, and you don't even need to add a custom field.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders