Is it possible to redirect a whole Project to a new administrator?

Tony Peters June 21, 2017

To get our existing project up and running our current JIRA project licensing was privately funded.  Our customer is now in a position to take adminstrative control of the whole project which is still very active.

Is it possible to transfer a whole project across to another Administrator without disrupting services or losing any content (including attachments)?

1 answer

0 votes
Chris_Naurois June 21, 2017

Hi Tony,

I will assume you are using Jira Cloud, can you confirm?

You can give the Administrator role at a project level to a different user - For this you simply go in the Project's setting (cog icon at the bottom of the left-hand-side bar), but this will not give them the Jira Administrator privileges and they will not be able to modify the issuetypes and workflows, etc. (and any global settings).

But your question implies more a handover from yourself to the customer, in terms of managing the whole administrative control. This would only be achieved by handing over the whole Jira management (so if you have other projects you will lose them).

Exporting just a project is not possible for now, in cloud. You have the ability to export the whole Jira instance, to backup or import into another one.

You would be able to export all issues and confluence pages manually (to excel) to then reimport into a blank Project on another instance, as well as exporting XML files for any advanced workflows you produced, but you would need to reconfigure any other settings.

I will let Atlassian respond further, as there may be oteh ravenues I have not explored myself, but strongly suggest that you raise an actual support ticket with their team.

Suggest an answer