Is ScriptRunner needed for JQL Functions?

Kyle Conway January 8, 2019

It doesn't seem to say that's necessary anywhere, including on the wiki page for JQL functions, but none of the JQL functions I've tried work.  Every single one says "Unable to find JQL function," and when I Google that a lot of people talk about ScriptRunner, but it seems like literally everyone but my company is using that, so I'm not sure if those two are directly correlated or not.

Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

No, it's not.  There are a pile of JQL functions built into Jira Core, and Software and Service Desk add more that are related to their purposes.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/advanced-searching-functions-reference-939938746.html for the built-in ones.

ScriptRunner does add yet more JQL functions, and the ability to write your own directly inside the UI of Jira.  See https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html

Oh, I see.  The functions I'm using aren't in that first list, so they must be from an addon.  Thanks for the help, Nic!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

@Kyle Conway Scriptrunner for JIRA is a third-party plugin available on Atlassian Marketplace , that provides you extra capabilities of groovy scripting and automation in JIRA. It also provides some useful JQL functions out-of-the-box, that are not bundled with JIRA.

But, for using bundled JQL functions in JIRA, this plugin is not required.

Thanks for the information.  Would you have any ideas (I can't find anything) on why none of the functions work?  I have version 7.10.1

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2019

@Kyle Conway Can you be more precise and tell me what JQL query or JQL functions are you trying to use in JIRA, and what errors are you getting? Screenshots would be an additional help for clarification.

Also tell me if you are using JIRA Core, JIRA Software or both?

@Taranjeet Singh thanks for all the help!  I found out (from another answer) that the function I'm using isn't one of the core ones.  

Suggest an answer