Inactive Atlassian users can't send requests via email

Lara Isak April 5, 2019

Hi!

We have an issue where we don't receive tickets sent via email by inactive Atlassian users.

Mail audit log says - Failure - "Current user is not active"

Our JSD is set up so that anyone can send a request without logging in (apparently except for the inactive Atlassian users)

Is there a way to get notified when an email fails to get transferred into a ticket or when an user becomes inactive?

Thanks and kind regards,

Lara

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2019

Correct. Inactive users will fail. I don’t know of any way to be notified. Maybe an addon?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2019

If someone is no longer a user in your system, then you shouldn't be sending them emails anyway!  This sounds like correct behaviour to me.

Like Petr Vaníček likes this
Lara Isak June 27, 2019

Thanks for the reply guys!

The thing is that user is still in our system but he/she are not using Atlassian on a daily basis (like Directors, C-Level...).

In their case, their Atlassian account gets deactivate and they're not able to reach us by sending an email request.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2019

Understood. The process would need to be something like this:

1. inactive user attempts to create an issue which fails
  2. inactive user notifies the Jira admin that they no longer have access
  3. admin reactivates account
Lara Isak July 1, 2019

Hi Jack!

Thanks for your reply!

The thing is that inactive users don't get notified in any way that the issue creation failed since we use a dedicated email address for the requests.

So they just send an email to our helpdesk and wait for the reply. Since the email doesn't get transferred into a ticket we never receive that request.

After a few days an inactive user contacts someone from our Helpdesk personally and then we're able to help him/her with their issue.

I just think it would be nice to at least get a notification when a user gets inactive or if his attempt to send a request fails. :)

Like # people like this
ewas_support September 3, 2020

Any solution for this? we face the same problem and the solution provided by the Community Leader is useless as pointed out by Lara Isak.

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2020

It's not useless, it is what you have to do. 

An inactive user is someone who is not currently allowed to use the system.  If you want them to use it, you need to reactivate them.

Jeremy Blough October 9, 2020

I have a similar issue, we have a requirement to disable accounts after 35 days of inactivity.  But how does the user request reactivation if emails/tickets are not being sent due to them being inactive?

Thanks in advance

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2020

Hi @Jeremy Blough ,

one of two ways:

• you monitor the email logs daily (?) for failures due to inactive users or
  • the Customer needs a secondary means of contacting you about not getting a response

i wish the system could provide notification of failures, e.g. emails and there is a request for this.

Joshua Baird December 7, 2020

On the same note: i'm also trying to monitor the email logs for this but the logs doesnt say anything. im monitoring the logs at /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log/atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log (incoming mail log is currently turned on and incoming mail debug log is on as well). there is nothing in this log to indicate that the mail was sent from an inactive user

Suggest an answer