In a Plan, can you automate an epic's start date to adjust if the previous epic's end date is extend

Maxine Freedman-Thompson April 18, 2024

In the Timeline of a Plan is it possible for epic start and end dates to automatically move when the previous epic's end date is changed?

For example, in the screenshot below, the end date for epic TM-252 is 'Mon, Jul 15, 2024'. This epic blocks the next epic TM-267, which currently has a start date of 'Tue, Jul 16, 2024'.

Timeline 1.JPG

If I extend the end date of TM-252 to 'Mon, Jul 15, 2024', the dependency link changes to red to show that the two epics are now running concurrently (overlapping by 12 days) and not consecutively:

Timeline 2.JPG

Is there a way to automate epic TM-267's start AND end date to move on 12 days so that the two epics are running consecutively again and no longer overlap?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2024

Hello @Maxine Freedman-Thompson 

You would need to set up an Automation Rule to do that. Are you familiar with Automation Rules?

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Maxine Freedman-Thompson April 19, 2024

Many thanks @Trudy Claspill I'll take a look :)

Maxine Freedman-Thompson April 25, 2024

Hey @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks to your suggestion I've summarised that I need to add automation rules for the start date and due date fields on my epics. However, I've discovered that when I extend or shorten the bar neither of these fields is updated in the issue screen, hence any automation won't work.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong or how I ensure that when the start date and/or due date is changed, either by dragging the bar on the timeline or by updating the fields on the issue screen the other is automatically changed? Looking at other threads, it looks as though this usually happens for other people.

Hold that thought, I think I've solved it :)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2024

After dragging the bar to change the dates are you reviewing those changes and committing them to the underlying issues? The underlying issues won't be updated until you review and save the changes.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.56.20 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.56.39 AM.png

Maxine Freedman-Thompson April 26, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Yep, I discovered that straight after I'd posted!

I'm now having problems with the automation rule :(

Having not done this before, I'm probably going completely the wrong way about it but this is what I've come up with so far but it doesn't work:

Automation rule 1.JPG

Automation rule 2.JPG

Using {{triggerissue.Due Date.plusBusiness Days(1)}} in the action

Am I anywhere close!?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2024

Hello @Maxine Freedman-Thompson 

You did not pick an easy case for you first attempt at Automation Rules! ;-)

Let us first talk about the trigger for the rule. You selected "Issue Linked". That means the rule will be triggered when you create a generic issue link between two issues.

In your original post you said you want to update Epic dates when the dates for the "previous" Epic are changed. If that is the case, then the trigger needs to be "Field Value Changed" with the relevant end date field selected for monitoring. Then the rule would be triggered when the change to the end date is saved.

Next you would want a Condition to check that the trigger issue is an Epic type of issue. That will ensure that the rest of the rule runs only when the dates have been changed on an Epic.

The next step would be For Each: Related Issues: Linked Issue, where you would choose the Link Type you use to indicate the dependency between Epics.

Within the branch you would use the Edit Issue action to update the dependent Epic's dates.

However, updating dates gets a little complicated.

How do you decide by how much the dependent Epic's dates should be changed? If the original Epic's end date is pushed out by X calendar days, then do you want to push the dependent Epic's start and end dates out by X calendar days? In this case you have to include a step in the rule to calculate the value of X so that you can use that to update the dependent Epic.

When you use the Field Value Changed trigger it is possible to access the original and new values of the changed field.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 2.04.49 PM.png

But these values are accessible only as Strings. Since you are referencing a date field, you would need to use smart value functions to convert the String values to Date values so that you could then use the diff function to get the difference between the dates.

Converting the values is simple enough. You would use the toDate function:

original value: {{fieldChange.fromString.toDate}}

new value: {{fieldChange.toString.toDate}}

To get the difference between them you would use the diff() function.

{{fieldChange.fromString.toDate.diff(fieldChange.toString.toDate).days}}

If you have made the date later, you should get a positive number of days. If you have made the date earlier then you should get a negative number of days.

So, now you have a number of days. You need to apply that to the dates in the dependent Epic.

For that you would use the plusUnit() function, where Unit is the time of time period (hours, days, weeks). You would take the value you got above, providing that to the plusDays function, and applying the plusDays function to the field you want to change. In my example I used the End Date field.

{{issue.End Date.plusDays(fieldChange.fromString.toDate.diff(fieldChange.toString.toDate).days)}}

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 2.33.39 PM.png

There are some refinements that could be made, but that is basically it.

In addition, on the Rule Details page you would want to check the box that would allow the rule to be triggered by the actions of another rule.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 2.36.31 PM.png

The reason to check that box is because this rule will run and change the Epics directly dependent on the one you changed. But then you probably would want that change to continue to cascade down the chain to the Epics dependent on the ones the rule changed, right? You need to check that box so that the changes made to the first Epic(s) by this rule will cause the rule to be called again because of those changes, and make changes to the next dependent Epic(s) in the chain.

There is another consideration though. How many Epics might you have chained together? This rule would be set up so that once it changed the first dependent Epic, that change would cause the rule to trigger again to see if that changed Epic itself has another Epic depending on it. There is a limit of 10 to the number of times a rule can trigger itself to be executed again in this manner . Are you likely to have a chain of more than 10 Epics?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events