I would like to create a place to put stories that are dependant on other teams

Eric Thomas January 30, 2019

The way we are organized right now WE have a lot of stories that complete when we have created the request for another team to do something.  SLA may vary.  We are converting over to JIRA from a physical Scrum wall starting today.  Anyhoo, what we have done on the physical wall was place the epic and associated stories on a Dependency wall with a post it noting date and who we are wasting on and when we expect them to deliver.  Then after complete we move the stories back to the back log and then next story we can work in gets into the sprint.  

This is for visibility purposes for management.  "We are waiting on the XYZ team to finish this task of doing the widget thing"  

I would like to be able to carry this process into JIRA and have been thinking of a couple ways to do it without making it too complicated.

A perfect solution would be one where I could drag (Figuratively or Literally) the Epic out of the back log into another spot were I could make notes on why it is there and when we should expect it to be ready and then back into the Back log.

Thant is my thinking but I am also open to suggestions

Cheers

1 answer

0 votes
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

Bit of a late response @Lothar of the Hill People (I was trawling recently unanswered planning issues to find something similar to my current challenge) but for your challenge I would (without knowing your exact systems/details) go with one of the following:

• Leaving the Epic exactly where it is. Use the right filters to hide it from your ongoing work so it does not disrupt the current Work / Back Log
  • If the other team are up for it, have THEM work in Jira as well and then cross referencing the dependencies directly to their work, i.e.: Link -> is blocked by -> TICKET-001
  • Another way, if you have it, is to use a Confluence page on your Project's Space to highlight where dependencies lie and what work is currently blocked. That way you efficiently capture your notes whilst simultaneously listing your critical path... you could do it in a table format: Team | Task Description | Notes | Dependancy (your Jira Issue)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events