I suddenly cannot add new conditionals to an existing automation.

Brock Jolet January 6, 2022

I'm editing an automation that has existed for a while by adding an additional else statement. I was able to do so, but within that else statement I can no longer directly add an in-line conditional.

The existing else statement already had an in-line conditional and I was able to drag it to my new one, but when I try to add a new component in-line I do not have an option to add a condition.

Any idea why?

P.S. I was able to create the desired "issue fields condition" by adding it in-line before the "if / else block" and then dragging it into place.

2022-01-06_10h33_46.png2022-01-06_10h42_52.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2022

Hi @Brock Jolet 

How many components are currently in the rule?  I believe the limit is 60 components.

Kind regards,
Bill

Brock Jolet January 7, 2022

@Bill Sheboy , you're looking at the total in the first screenshot.

I don't think that was the issue since I was able to add a new component in a different part of the rule then move it into place.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2022

Sorry, I missed something in your original image: you are trying to add a condition inside of an if/else block.  I do not believe that is possible.

Instead, you would need to map out your conditions and add the necessary criteria for each block with "Add conditions..."  Please check to ensure the occur in a logical order that matches what you need.

Brock Jolet January 12, 2022

Hey @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the full automation as I have it today. It seems to work as intended.
I find it strange that it lets me drag the "Clone Date is not empty" components into place, but not create them in place.

2022-01-12_11h45_52.png

Just another Jira quirk, I guess.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2022

That is curious, and one of these things is probably defect:

1. if/else does not allow adding another condition component once inside the block from the component selector
  2. a condition component can be dragged into an existing if/else block

If #1 is the expected behavior and #2 (which you are using) is a defect, there could be some unpredictable behavior if the team did not intend it to work.

So, if you are on a paid (not free) Jira license, I respectfully suggest working with your site admin to submit a support ticket here and get them to answer: Atlassian Support

Please post back what you learn so the rest of the community can benefit.  Thanks!

Like Brock Jolet likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2022

Hey @Bill Sheboy and @Brock Jolet,

I've raised a bug to track this one, thanks for pointing it out

Cheers,

Simeon. 

Like # people like this
Brock Jolet January 17, 2022
Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer