I seem to have two of almost every custom field, and they are mucking up my screens

chewborg July 11, 2019

I now have two Epic Names fields and I could not save an Epic issue because it was complaining about a mandatory field, which i now assume was the second one in the custom field list

I'm guessing it probably also has something to do with all the Epic labels only showing unlabelled

Not sure how or why this happened, recent though. How can I best fix this? Which ones should be removed, and I'm guessing it has to be done in the DB?

Thanks

Patrick

epic_dupes.png

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2019

Hi Patrick,

While i'm not entirely sure how this was triggered in your case we have seen this type of field duplication on the agile fields before, and it usually coincides with a recent upgrade triggering the duplication on the fields, have you done an upgrade recently that might line up with this.  Also what version are you on?  and if an upgrade occureed what version did you start on?

I would also recomend checking the atlassian-jira.log file written to the log subdirectory of your Jira application home directory to see if there are any explicit errors that could help narrow down the event where the duplication occurred in the first place.

But regardless of the cause check out the following KB articles that give some queries that can be used to narrow down where the duplicates are occuring and remove them,  It looks like you are only hitting the Epic and rank fields being duplicated so you should be able to ignore the mentioned Sprint field duplicate error in this KB and look at the duplicate greenhopper field link mentioned:

and then Look at this one for the duplicate Rank value:

Let me know what you find or if you have any questions about the results of the queries, and next steps.

Regards,
Earl

chewborg July 15, 2019

Thanks Earl

I can see in the logs something happened 24th June, so that far back and out of immediate memory, and those Epics fields were recreated with new Id's.
I can see them in the DB, thanks for pointing out that table. I believe I can clean this up now. The new ones are the active fields according to the greenhopper logs. I guess I just have to remove the older dupes and reassociate the fields in the screens, etc.

Regards

Patrick

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer