I need to update the Parent ID on an Issue through Automation

Evan Reid April 16, 2024

I am trying to work around JWM's current inability to import linked issues and epics. On import I am writing the linked parent ID to a custom field. I would like to create an automation that takes the value in the custom field "Parent Test" and copies it to the actual Parent field. Challenge is I am super new to Jira. image.png

Any recomendatons? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi @Evan Reid 

What type of field is Parent Test?

And what is happening using this current rule? Is it running and erroring? Is there an error visible in the audit log?

---

I've seen this done in the past - usually it entails...

• Having a custom short text field - eg. Parent Key
  • Placing the exact Issue Key of the Parent into the short text field
  • Using Automation to set the value of the custom text field into the parent field using a smart value - eg. {{issue.Parent Key}}

Ste

Evan Reid April 16, 2024

Thanks for the reply, Stephen. I think I started down this path based on a response you made to another post. 

The "Parent Test" field is a cutom shor text field. 

I am using {"fields":{"parent":{"key":"issue.Parent Test"}}} in the issue edit step to set the value.

I am getting (Could not find issue by id or key. (parent)) as the error when the automation runs.  

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi @Evan Reid 

You shouldn't need to use the Advanced section (to remove this, you have to remove the JSON in it)

You should be able to use {{issue.Parent Test}} directly in the Parent field, selected from the field list.

Edit: To make sure, I just tried this. It works fine for me directly in the Parent field without JSON.

Ste

Evan Reid April 16, 2024

That did it!! I had to modify the 'Parent Test' field to include the project code so 'ABC-3' for the epic, but it works! 

Thanks for the input!

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2024

Not a problem :)

If this answer helped resolve your query, could you accept it? That helps others who might find this question in future know it can help them too!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events