I have a valid license till May 2021, need to install on a server previously having older version

Chetan Handa December 3, 2020
  • I tried install Jira on a server which previously had an older version which had expired.
  • When I install I get the below  message :
    License Too Old For Build: We found a problem with your JIRA license
  • I then clicked on the link which takes me to a new page where I can enter my new license details.
  • My questions are related to this page where I need to enter an admin user name, admin password and new license.
    • I have the license key (I can copy and paste the new license key, no problem)
    • I don't know which admin user name to use ? 
      • I keep getting a message that the user name is incorrect.
        I'm guessing its asking me for the admin user name of the older installation. How can I delete the older installation completely so that it stops asking me the admin user name of an installation which expired long time back.
        -- Can I start fresh ? I have a new valid license and I don't remember the very old username of the expired installation.

1 answer

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Hi @Chetan Handa 

Can you confirm that the data present on older Jira instance is of no use to you and you want to entirely delete its data?

Chetan Handa December 3, 2020

Yes, the older data is of no use, it just had some test data. 
I'd like to start fresh.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

If I understood you correctly there were some issues with the license and for easier handling you decided to wipe the existing installation - because the data is not needed anymore and you want to start fresh.

If so, you would just need to delete jira (installation directory) along with jira_home (home directory). Additionally you would need to delete the database.

Then a new installation with the license key you said it would be valid until 2021 is needed.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-938846823.html

Like Chetan Handa likes this
Chetan Handa December 11, 2020

Thanks that worked.
New instance is working, I just had to get rid of the older folder.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events