I do not have the ability to put time estimates for sub-tasks in Jira. How do I enable this?

Matthew Mensher September 5, 2018

At the issue level there is a field for a time estimate; however when I create sub-tasks I do not have the option for a time estimate. It seems near impossible to follow the agile process without logging time against each sub-task.

I am working in a test environment right now. Could this be why?

2 answers

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

@Matthew Mensher, are you using the new Issue view where the status and other fields are pushed over to the right hand column? If so there is a "More" link at the bottom of the column that may give you what you are looking for. 

You may also may either have the fields excluded from the Create Issue or Edit Issue view (in the old views) in the Screen scheme, or...and jira is funny about this...If you don't have a value in the fields they won't show up on the View Issue view. You can add the values in the Edit view.

Finally, there is a "Where's my Field" option under the Admin button in the old View Issue view. Select that and search for Time Tracking to get a list of reasons why it is/is not showing up in your view. 

Hope this helps.

-Scott

I am using the regular issues view. There is an "edit" and a "more" button and they both do not contain an option for a time estimate. The "more" tab has an option to "log work". I can click this and log how many hours have been worked on the task and it says on the page: "the estimate will be reduced by the amount of work done, but never below 0", but this makes no sense because you can never set the estimate anywhere.

Lastly, I do not where the admin button is. I am not an admin yet.

Thanks in advanced.

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2018

Hey Matthew,

You should check to see what screen/field scheme your sub-tasks use.

The "Time Tracking" fields may not be enabled on those screens.

Hope this helps.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

If this is what you are referring to, it is on "All".

jira issue.JPG

Thanks for the reply.

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2018

Hey Matthew,

I'm referring to Screen Schemes.  If you are not an admin on the project you wouldn't have access to them.  There is a way to add fields to that list: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/defining-a-screen-938847288.html

You (or a project admin) should just need to add the "Time Tracking" fields to your scheme and you should be able to add estiamtes.

Tyler

Matthew Mensher September 6, 2018

Thanks for the help. Adding them to the screens now with an admin.

Suggest an answer