Jira Server: I deleted a project and want to restore

omorobot April 22, 2021
  1. I am running Jira version 8.13.5 on a server PC as admin.

I recently (a few weeks ago which I don't remember exact date) deleted a project accidently and want to restore.

How can I solve this issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @omorobot 

To restore the project, you’ll need the following:

1. Restore on a new staging instance a backup of Jira from before your deletion and as close to the date of deletion as possible.
  2. Confirm projects existence 
  3. Install Configuration manager for JIRA on both servers (they sell a monthly license as well so consider going with this).
  4. Using the add on, export a snapshot of the project with issues(read more about this on the addon’s documentation page)
  5. Restore the snapshot to your target instance(please note that attachments need to be either by specifying their location or by exporting them with the snapshot. The later though can lead to timeout errors if the attachments are a lot).

Attempt this steps on your test instance to make sure you are familiar before doing the same on production.

Also, the add-on Project Configurator could also be used here as an alternative if you already have it. See Atlassian marketplace for  both addons.

0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Hi @omorobot you can do that if you have a backup. If you do not have a backup, then you're lost. Ask DBA team to restore previous backup means before deletion of project backup.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

With a week between deletion and today, a database rollback or Jira backup restore directly would not work as they will lose recent data.

omorobot April 22, 2021

I managed to restore the project myself.

Found the backup data which owns the project but it was made before upgrading Jira from 8.5.7 to 8.13.5.

So I had to manually modify every items with 8.5.7 to 8.13.5 as if it was made from upgraded jira.

It took for a while for the project importer recognize it as valid 8.13.5 backup, I finally able to import project though I could not find attached files. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events