How update massive summary of ticket ?

Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios April 17, 2024

hello team,

I need to update the information of several ticket at the same time, example modfiy the summary information.

Is there an option to do this through a file?

5 answers

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Hello @Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

You can do this by import a CSV file through the External System Import option available to Jira Admins from the Settings > System page.

You would need to provide a column for the existing issue key, and a column for each field you want to update.

You then map the column you used for the issue key to the Jira "Issue Key" field, and map the other columns to their corresponding fields.

Include columns only for fields you want to update.

If you want to update different fields in different issues, I recommend using separate CSV files so that each file contains issue where all the same fields need to be updated, and include only the fields that need updating (besides including the Issue Key). That way you avoid the risk of updating or clearing other fields that you did not mean to affect.

I did a very simple test with a CSV file as follows:

key,summary
ACK-43,a new summary

For the columns-to-fields mapping I used:
key > Issue Key
summary > Summary

The Summary for issue ACK-43 was updated.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

This is pretty simple for text fields. Updating other types of fields may require special handling in the CSV file.

0 votes
Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios April 18, 2024

hello Valerie,

This works, thanks a lot! 

0 votes
Thomas Talving April 17, 2024

One "ugly" way this could be done is by creating a automation that for example takes the latest internal comment and adds it as the summary. Would work something like this:

Trigger: Issue Commented

IF: Comment = "MY NEW SUMMARY"

Action: Edit Summary with {{issue.comments.first.body}}

Then do a bulk comment on all issues you would like to change the summary on.

Jira smart values - lists | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios April 17, 2024

hello Valerie, 

Thanks for your quick answer,  I found this option but is only to create a new ticket, I need to modify  the field summary (only this field)  of more than 100 already tickets in JIRA. 

Do you know the option in JIRA todo do it ?

I only can see the option " Import issues from CSV  ( mentioned in your answer) , unfortunately this option creates new tickets but does not update existing ones.

Thanks again.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Hi @Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios , excuse me, you are right. I just tried myself to update some existing issues with the CSV and I don't manage. 

image.png

Let me ask the other Community Leaders and see if there is another method. Sorry, I will get back to you soon.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

@Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios I should point out, there are apps you can use to do this, so worst case, you could install a trial, make your changes and then evaluate how often you will need to do this, whether to keep / buy the app or not.

This one should work, for example, but there are others

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1224710/jxl-sheets-hierarchy-structure-sum-up-time-in-status-table?hosting=cloud&tab=overview 

Cheers

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

Hi @Reyna Flor Ibañez Barrios , welcome to the Atlassian Community and thanks for your question.

Yes, you should be able to export the issues from the issue search then import them as a csv after having modified the Summary.

You can check out the documentation for how to do this here, but the best thing is to export the issues first and just modify that file as it maintains the formatting.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/ 

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events