How to use Epic link filed for swimlanes on a Scrum board?

lalitha March 15, 2019

I like to find a way to get swimlanes on the scrum board for the Epic links tied to stories. We tie story to a Epic link. I wanted all stories on the board grouped by Epic link. How to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2019

Hi Lalitha,

I'm sure if your using Server or Cloud but on both this should be possible. You can configure swimlanes to use Epics. This is documentend on the Confluence for both Jira Server and Jira Cloud.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

lalitha March 16, 2019

Hi Maarten,  we have a program backlog in a separate project/board which is the common backlog for all teams on the Agile train. This is a Kanban board. This is where backlog items are created as issue type "Epic".  Each team has its own scrum board with their team specific stories. Each story is linked ( Epic Link)  to a specific "Epic" on the Program Kanban board. We would like to see stories are grouped by Epic or Epic link on our board ( right now we use Epic link as a display on the card layout but this isn't effective). Hope my ask is clear now. Thank you for your help

lalitha March 19, 2019

any further thoughts or suggestions on this?

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2019

Hi Lalitha,

Just to be very sure, can you please let me know if you're using Server or Cloud?

One other thing that could be impacting you is the fact that Epics are not coming out of the query of the Scrum Boards for each team. If the Epics are not part of the result of the query used for the Scrum Board they can't be shown as a swimlane.

Please have a look at the query behind the board and make sure it includes epics. (Don't worry, they won't be displayed as a separate card).

Best,

Maarten

lalitha March 20, 2019

Hi Maarten, we use Server.  Sorry I didn't understand here. project = SAPPYA ORDER BY Rank ASC is what the query for our board.  On the swimlanes, I have used Base Swimlanes on "Epic".  But I don't see stories in a sprint board are swimlaned by Epic link they are tied to. Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events