How to set the WIP Limit?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

I must be a complete moron.... how do I set WIP limit?

I cannot find the setting ANYWHERE. :o(

[I am on the cloud version, using a Kanban Board]

5 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2018

Hi Andy,

go to board settings -> Columns and there is a min and max box in every column where you can set the WIP limits.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018
Lara Cozzo November 27, 2019

Hi all, quite new to Jira, also have the cloud version and I'm afraid I cannot find the path board settings -> Columns you suggest to set WIP limits. 

Can I ask you how to get there please? 

Thank you!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2019

@Lara Cozzo : sure thing !

Go to the Board Settings

Then Choose Columns

Switch on the desired Column Constraint

Enter the Min and Max for each column as per your need !

Hope this helps 😎🤘

WIPLImit_01.jpg

Like # people like this
Anna Slavin November 11, 2020

How to set WIP limit per person?  Thanks!

Like # people like this
carlos.marin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2021

Hi @Anna Slavin

it's not possible to set WIP limits per person.

Jo Kamcy January 5, 2023

You can't see it per person because the idea is for the WIP to be per team, not per individual person.

Like Radosław Śrubkowski likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Hello,

Go to the board settings of your kanban board. Choose the Columns tab and you will see max and min under each column. That is how you set WIP limit.

Radhika.Paw August 8, 2019

Is there any way to do min-max per assignee?

Thanks!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2019

No, it is not possible out of the box.

Like # people like this
Beatrice Blom Lindvall February 3, 2020

Hello, 

Maybe you already found the workaround, but though I will share what I found. The workaround is to setup swimlanes as the WIP applies to the swimlanes. The lanes should be setup using Assignee. I have not yet tested this myself, as i just found the solution but hope it helps you. 

//Beatrice

0 votes
Jacob Hodge January 27, 2021

Hello!

I have a related but slightly different question. I have successfully adjusted my wip limits on our board but when I try to leverage the Actionable Analytics - Aging work in progress graph view, the WIP limits are completely different.

e.g On my actual jira board my WIP limits are Column A (min 1, max 2), Column B (min 0, max 4), Column C (min 0, max 1) Column D (min 0, max 1). 

But on the Actionable analytics view my column wips are "Column A (max 1), Column B (max 1), Column C (max 2) Column D (max 0). 

Any suggestions? Thanks!

0 votes
Beatrice Blom Lindvall February 3, 2020

Hi again,

I just tested this myself. The workaround i suggested myself doesn't seem to work unfortunately. I set the limit to 1 for a column, move one issue assigned to me and then one issues assigned to someone else and that still gives a red frame, which I hope it wouldn't. 

The workaround i picked upp from here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-36973

Anyone who has any other idea how to solve this?

//Beatrice

0 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

Thanks @Alexey Matveev

Suggest an answer